1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a Mountain Skills course be useful?

Discussion in 'Winter Walking and Mountaineering' started by Macron, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Macron

Macron Member

I'd like to do some more advanced walks and tackle some challenging terrain. Would a Mountain Skills course be worthwhile to get some experience and build confidence? This site seems to be pretty good, any advice welcome: http://www.mountain-training.org/

2. classic33

classic33 Member

Winter Mountain Leader training course. Having done the summer course, I'd recommend it. It's an ongoing "course", with you keeping a log of all your activities

3. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

:eek:
    Do the summer course before you do the winter one!

It's not really an ongoing course. It is a course you can take to get a mountain leader award, and the log book is to demonstrate you have been practicing what you learnt on the course. Keeping a log book in itself does nothing to further your skills. Looking at it and working out what you haven't done for a while, or using it to decide which of your skills need updating can help.

classic33, Macron and Andy_R like this.
  4. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

I personally wouldn't bother with mountain leader courses unless you plan on leading groups. You can also teach yourself navigation and map reading with books and experience.

The kind of skills that would be useful from a course are ropework, scrambling, advanced navigation in whiteouts and general winter skills including survival. The only one I've ever done was an Alpine Winter Skills course, simple snow belays, ice axe and crampon use, reading snow conditions and building a simple shelter from snow, it was extremely useful and extremely hard in 4 days of Cairngorm whiteouts. I learned to climb by joining a club and learning from experienced people, often that's more fun and more useful than a course, plus you end up getting to know like minded people.

5. OP
    OP
    Macron

Macron Member

Thanks. I'll have a look online and see what's out there. I hadn't considered teaching myself, but I suppose I could give it a try and if I can't get the hang of it, come here and ask for some more help.
    Wow, thanks, sounds like you know your stuff. :notworthy: I hadn't been thinking in those sorts of terms, just getting on the next step up from walking and doing a bit more advanced stuff, but your advice of joining a club is sound, I'll have a look locally and see if there are any climbing clubs I could visit. I expect they will be able to advise what I should start with and work from there.

Thank you.

6. classic33

classic33 Member

It used to be a requirement for the Winter Course, that you had to have the Summer Course and extra completed before you'd be allowed to do it.
    Summer Course has been renamed Mountain Leader , and the requirement for the Winter Course is that you've done the Mountain Leader

Consider http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/skills-and-awards/lowland-leader or B.E.T.A.

7. Grayson

Grayson Regular Member

I'd go with what @Glyder says - good advice from someone who obviously speaks from experience. :okay: