Wide fit, well padded shoes

Jon Treechopper

Evening all and greetings from sultry Surrey (Caterham).

I'm a 60 year old occasional hiker with wide feet that are widening further with age. I would like to find a pair of hiking shoes for easier walks that comfortably accommodate such feet.
They need also to be well padded underneath as currently after 10 miles in my Meindl boots (which are a bit narrow) my feet feel like they've been subjected to that Turkish torture where you lie on your back with your feet on a table while a big sweaty sadist beats the bottoms of your feet! Those who have seen Midnight Express will understand.
So any suggestions? Wide hiking shoes with excellent padding below... I hope the Walking Chat massive can help.

Cheers,

Jon

Pitboot

OP
J

Jon Treechopper

Had a read of that and there's good advice there, namely 'buy Altberg'! I had a pair of Yantans and couldn't get on with them sadly but I'd be more than happy to give the UK's last boot manufacturer another go.
I will need decent boots in a few months - doing some yomping in the Atlas next spring; woo hoo! - but for now am in need of shoes; Meindl boots on the South Downs on a dry day seem a bit overkill.

Research has led me to Altra shoes, at least some of which are made with a wide toe fit. There's a stockist in Horsham I'm calling tomorrow to see what they've got in and whether I can go take a look see.

Thanks again.

Jon

Pitboot

Altra have a good reputation on US walking sites/videos so I hope you find something to suit. I've had the same problem, age, weight, and gravity, so I've just gone up a size and at the moment it's working for me.

OP
J

Jon Treechopper

Well it turns out the Horsham store are a running shop, not a walking one. So I was slightly sarcastically informed :tongue: Cotswold Outdoor are very close by so I'll see what they've got.

Altra hiking shoes are turning out to be difficult to trace in the UK. There's a chain of two shops that have them I've found; one in Leeds, the other in Newcastle(-upon-Tyne).

OP
J

Jon Treechopper

Pittie, going up a size is definitely on the agenda. I already never lace the bottom pair or two of eyes in my boots; that allows the foot to spread as you put your weight on it.

OP
J

Jon Treechopper

Well I've gone a bit budget; £85 for a pair of very comfy (I think!) Merrell Moab 2s. I'm a 9-9½; I've bought 10½ so I've moved up a full shoe size and the shoes don't feel clompy at all. But the width is there. My only reservation is the under foot padding but they're a darned sight better than the Meindl shoes I tried on; I reckon my feet would be black and blue after 5 miles in them.

My online research - confusing as ever because there is so much contradictory info out there - seemed to rate Merrell OK. I hope so.

Pitboot - I'll be referring back to your references later when I need boots so thanks again.

Jon

Pitboot

You're welcome Jon. Good luck with the MOABs, they are highly rated and many people swear by them.

OP
J

Jon Treechopper

A month on - a brief update.

These Merrells are very comfortable. Within an hour of wearing them from new they felt like they belonged to my feet, not the box. I'm wearing them as knockabout trainers as well as for a bit of walking.

Buying a size up was definitely a good move; the shoes slip on easily and can be tightened comfortably on the laces without pulling across the wide part of the foot; ace.

I may have been worrying about not much when it comes to the underfoot protection; it seems fine but I haven't done a long yomp yet. If I'm wrong I reckon I could squeeze in a slim insert. I'd rather not as I can't imagine improving on present comfort levels but I have the option.

So far... very pleased, no regrets. Yay for Merrell. I think they may be my go to shoe at replacement time. 👍

Top Bottom