What sort of camera gear do you take when out walking?

Discussion in 'Outdoor and Wildlife Photography' started by Grayson, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Grayson

Grayson Regular Member

I'm guessing most people will take a compact at the very minimum for those opportunistic moments, but do you also pack a DSLR, lenses, tripod, etc.?

I suppose it depends on whether you're taking photo's whilst out walking, or walking to locations to take photos - so what cameras and photography equipment do you usually take when you go hiking?

2. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Regular Member

If a compact is a basic handheld camera you can slip in your pocket then yes I take one of those with me. I'll take a few pictures when we stop or if there are interesting buildings or things along the route but I'm not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination and am often pleasantly surprised when I see that I have a half decent image and haven't chopped everyones heads off. :smile:

I guess if you are a proper photographer then you would want some very lightweight gear if you plan on taking long walks with it all.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Canon EOS DSLR with 50mm lens and telescopic monopod. Occasionally I'll take a 75-300mm if I'm confident of there being some decent wildlife around to shoot.

Grayson likes this.
  4. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

I was always told "It's not the camera, it's the photographer". I've seen some amazing photos taken with phones, and some pretty rubbish ones taken with high end DSLR kit. When I'm out walking, I'll just take my phone - a ropey old Samsung S4. If I want to go and take photos, I'll take my trusty EOS 30D - it's over 10 years old now, but I know it's functions inside out. Your choice of lens is probably more important than the camera body if you go down the line of DSLR. I think the thing is, to know your kit and how to get the best out of it. A lot of people have all the gear, but no idea...

raleighnut and Grayson like this.
  5. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

I've got a DLSR, but I don't take it on any but the shortest walks as it's a pain hanging round my neck, and if it gets put in the rucksack it hardly ever gets used.
    I have a waterproof Canon compact (is that the word? point and press), and a non-waterproof Sony one - interestingly the Canon 'all weather camera' has really poor battery performance in sub zero temperatures.

However this year I finally upgraded to a proper smart phone. Now I just use the camera on the phone - so much lighter, fits more easily in a pocket, etc. Great for multi-day walks as well, as I no longer need to take a book or a kindle.

Having said that, if I get back into sea kayaking again, it will be the waterproof Canon (if it still works after being in a cupboard for several years).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Grayson likes this.
  6. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Taking photos while out walking - camera phone, as above.

Walking to locations to take photos - DSLR. I never do this with other people - it irritates them having to wait around while I faff with the camera, and I feel I need to rush with my shots so as not to keep them waiting.

NorthernDave likes this.
  7. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I just take my iPhone. This is a picture from yesterday morning looking across to the Thames near Oxford

977BA3DD-C589-48F5-AEE2-8E23F1DBFE1A.jpeg

It may not be the best lens in the world but at least it’s always with me for photos like this.

8. Tribble

Tribble Regular Member

I like that - very moody. :smile: I'm not one for taking many photos but I do take my phone with me everywhere so if I take any photos it'll be with that.

Rocky likes this.
  9. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

Generally I just take my phone to capture anything memorable. I do have a DSLR with a reasonble long lens which I bring along if I know there is something specific to see, for example when we are over at Rutland Water and there is a fair chance of seeing an Osprey.

10. Lassie33

Lassie33 Member

Compact camera for me, not a fan of phone cameras but will use it when there's no other option.

Taken the dslr on short walks but it is a bit of a pain, especially if you want a decent sized zoom lens.

Compact is the perfect size, takes decent pictures and can easily be slipped into a pocket.

11. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Member

I used to take one of my 'proper' cameras out (either a Panasonic Lumix FZ-38 or if I was feeling adventurous, one of my vintage 80's Russian 35mm SLRs).

But if I'm being brutally honest, most of the time now I'll just use my phone (Moto G4Plus) which with a 16MP camera is good enough for 90%+ of what I'll want to photo on a walk. And I've always got my phone on me, whilst I have to make a conscious decision to take a camera.

12. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

I always used to take an SLR and occasionally if the weather is good, still do. I use the old CCS straps to put it around my hip with the camera in a case so it's carried a bit like a six gun in a western.

It works really well I find. The only time it nearly went wrong was scrambling on the Aonach Eagach one Easter. After taking a picture I failed to do up the drawcord and strap properly, probably because I was cold and thwacked by then. As I slid down a scramble section facing out, the case caught a rock and sent the camera out, bouncing once as it went away from me and then into mid air and a fatal 3000ft drop. I let out a yell of despair and my companion in front of me, in one movement, turned to look and caught the camera in both hands. I bought him a pint or two when we got down to the Clachaig.

raleighnut and NorthernDave like this.
  13. Beeny

Beeny Member

I find the modern compromise invention - the CSC (Compact System Camera) or Mirrorless camera - to be the ideal compromise for me. I can use a small zoom on it which folds fairly tightly and the camera, with all the proper photographic control but lacking the DSLR mirror box hump, is so much easier to carry. That and a pair of binos are the essentials in the daypack, a little Jobo Gorillapod as well and I'm generally not ideally but fairly well equipped, photographically speaking.

14. Summerdays

Summerdays Regular Member

I always have my phone on me to take photos, and I take lots, not necessarily artistically composed ones, but shots that remind me of that moment.

I also sometimes take my DSLR as I think the quality of the photo is better especially in lower light conditions. However if I'm walking with others then I don't like to spend too long.

My avatar photo was taken this year, by one of my children. I also took a family group shot at the same time, lower down. But they start moaning at me whilst I compose and run into shot! This year they seemed surprisingly happy for a last run.... I found out they were videoing me running up the rock to get into shot:biggrin:

Rocky likes this.
  15. Salad Dodger

Salad Dodger New Member

I usually carry a Fuji compact camera that my daughter donated to me, as she bought a Samsung that shares data to her Samsung phone.

The Fuji is surprisingly good for such a little thing, although I prefer an eyepiece viewer to using a screen as a viewfinder, especially when the sun is shining on it. The Fuji only has a screen.

If I am in an "artistic" mood, I take out my Fuji "bridge" camera, with the wide angle and tele lens extensions, and a monopod, but I go on my own as I will be wandering around for hours looking for things to photograph, and constantly rummaging in my bag for filters and such like......

Summerdays and Rocky like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice