What is the best way of drying leather boots?

Discussion in 'Gear, Equipment and Clothing' started by Podali, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Podali

Podali Regular Member

Yesterday I walked through water that was deeper than the top of my boots and soaked them thoroughly inside and out.

What is the best way to dry them out without damaging? Should they be just left to dry naturally or can you use a hair dryer or some other heat source to dry them more quickly?

Thanks
    Pod

2. LeeDonny

LeeDonny New Member

Don't force-dry them, that's the worst thing you can do!
    1. Take out the insoles and let them dry at room temperature.
    2. Tip the boots (so the toe is higher than the heel) and let them drain for 10 mins.
    3. Stuff them with newspaper (or kitchen roll) to soak up the moisture on the inside, and leave for 5 mins.
    4. Remove the damp paper.
    5. Now leave them to dry at normal temperature (15°C - 20°C) - and don't put them near any heat source or in direct sunlight.
    6. Once dry, treat the leather with some waterproof wax.
    Shamelessly plagarised from Altberg: http://www.altberg.co.uk/military/drying-boots-out/

raleighnut, Phoenix and Macron like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Podali

Podali Regular Member

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll give that a try.

Is there a particular brand of wax you would recommend?

Regards
    Pod

4. Macron

Macron Member

As per what @LeeDonny describes, with the addition of using a lightly damp cloth to clean off any salt residue once the boots are dry and before you wax them.

LeeDonny likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice