What have you done?

Discussion in 'Climbing and Scrambling' started by Glyder, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

I don't climb any more but I used to climb in the UK, mostly easy multi-pitch stuff, some snow and a tiny bit of ice. All my stuff is now too old to trust and what isn't has gone to my sons, whose abilities put me firmly in the shade.

In terms of scrambles I've probably done most of the classics, Aonach Eagach in winter, Striding edge, Crib Goch, Bristly Ridge, Sharp Edge plus a fair few scrambles that probably aren't in the books due to finding myself off-piste a few times. The one I regret never doing is the Cuillin Ridge, wanting to do it was what started me climbing but circumstances meant I never got there.

These days I mostly walk with friends without that level of experience so it's rare I do anything tricksy.

Shaun likes this.
  2. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

I've crumbled into teary heap on easy scrambles...
    Did a bit of rock climbing at one time to try to improve my head for heights, and it worked to a certain extent, but now has mostly worn off again. :cry:

classic33 and Shaun like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

Everyone has different triggers and you're right you can change that by exposing yourself to a little more but it does wear off. I know from my own experience that climbing is about confidence and for me that came with practise. Once I stopped my apprehension levels went up and I never regained the motivation to lower them again.

4. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

Jack's Rake on Pavey Ark had me breathing quite quickly!

5. OP
    OP
    Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

I've only done that once. I seem to recall one section that was quite exposed with a big drop to the left where the scramble narrowed and then at the top there were multiple options for getting off which was a bit confusing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice