Walking times: What is your method of calculating how long a walk will take you?

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Cartable, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

Reading about people who've needed to be rescued because they have misjudged how long a walk would take, I wondered what method you guys use to work out how long you think a walk will take to get you safely to the end?

Do you use Naismith's rule or work on your own average from personal experience? Do you take it easy and take in the flora and fauna, maybe do some photography along the way, stop for extended breaks, etc. or do you try to get as many miles in as you can at as strong a pace as possible?

I suppose it will depend on the time of year and whether the objective is a specific goal.

2. classic33

classic33 Regular Member

Personal experience over similar ground along with Naismith's Rule, and allowing 10 minutes per hour for unexpected events. Any break of 30 minutes plus gets the clock stopped and restarted again when moving off.

Often the walk is to a camp spot, where I'd be based so no real rush to get there.

LeetleGreyCells likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

@classic33 did you find your average was faster or slower than Naismith?

4. I do the same, but add an extra 10 minutes if I’ve got the kids walking with me, especially in the second half of the walk.

Cartable likes this.
  5. classic33

classic33 Regular Member

Worked out roughly right. But if it was down to me trying to keep to it or just that I was okay with the walking speed, I'm uncertain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice