Walking over the festive season

Does anyone have plans to go on a walking trip over Christmas?

Christmas morning after breakfast we like to go out for a long, local walk to walk up an appetite for lunch and blow away a few cobwebs. The day after Boxing Day we drive to Yorkshire @TVC 's eldest brother and his wife have a big family gathering, we stay overnight then the next day after breakfast we don our gear and go for a long walk in the countryside.

Rocky

Regular
Staff member
Mrs R and I usually go for an 8 mile walk on Christmas Day while our sons Rob and Gravel make lunch. We'll try and do something slightly longer on Boxing Day. I've also just booked a week's walking in the Yorkshire Dales in early December as I feel I need some solitude and to get away........please can the weather forecasters lay on some decent weather for me?

oldfatfool

So long as there isnt a foot of snow or really freezing temps then we will be up in the dales for a week over xmas so plenty of walking (and cycling) planned. @Rocky where are you planning to stay? Just being nosey like if you come up with some nice routes :okay:

Rocky

Regular
Staff member
So long as there isnt a foot of snow or really freezing temps then we will be up in the dales for a week over xmas so plenty of walking (and cycling) planned. @Rocky where are you planning to stay? Just being nosey like if you come up with some nice routes :okay:
I'm staying in the Wensleydale area - we used to own a cottage up that way and so it'll be a trip down memory lane. I'll try and do Great Shunner Fell from Hawes, take a trip to Cotterdale, and do a few low level routes round. I'm not sure if I'll take my bike and do some hills as well.

TVC

Staff member
Mrs R and I usually go for an 8 mile walk on Christmas Day while our sons Rob and Gravel make lunch. We'll try and do something slightly longer on Boxing Day. I've also just booked a week's walking in the Yorkshire Dales in early December as I feel I need some solitude and to get away........please can the weather forecasters lay on some decent weather for me?
Have you taken to calling him Gravel to his face now then?

ColinJ

I am going to Hebden Bridge again this Christmas to see my stepdaughter and her mum (my ex). Last year I did a 50 km bike ride there and back 'the long way' but I may opt to walk there and back this time. It is about 8 km each way, mainly along the Rochdale canal towpath.

Spokey Dokey

Lovely Wife and I will take the short drive to Scout Scar, Kendal, have a mooch and visit 'our boy's spot' where his ashes were spread - just the other side of the little ridge leading rightwards down the escarpment on the near horizon.

He's seen here in standard Weimaraner nose to ground walking posture.

P1000007.JPG

OP
Lullabelle

Lullabelle

Our plans have changed. My dad originally wanted to have Christmas on his own, not happy about that but he is old enough to make his own decisions, he has now changed his mind and asked to come to ours so instead of a long walk then cold light lunch we will be having a cooked lunch. For the first time ever I will be cooking it under TVC's expert eye.

OP
Lullabelle

Lullabelle

Lovely Wife and I will take the short drive to Scout Scar, Kendal, have a mooch and visit 'our boy's spot' where his ashes were spread - just the other side of the little ridge leading rightwards down the escarpment on the near horizon.

He's seen here in standard Weimaraner nose to ground walking posture.

View attachment 265
Weimaraners are beautiful creatures.

Top Bottom