Walking over the festive season

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Lullabelle, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

Does anyone have plans to go on a walking trip over Christmas?

Christmas morning after breakfast we like to go out for a long, local walk to walk up an appetite for lunch and blow away a few cobwebs. The day after Boxing Day we drive to Yorkshire @TVC 's eldest brother and his wife have a big family gathering, we stay overnight then the next day after breakfast we don our gear and go for a long walk in the countryside.

ColinJ, Rickshaw Phil and Rocky like this.
  2. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Mrs R and I usually go for an 8 mile walk on Christmas Day while our sons Rob and Gravel make lunch. We'll try and do something slightly longer on Boxing Day. I've also just booked a week's walking in the Yorkshire Dales in early December as I feel I need some solitude and to get away........please can the weather forecasters lay on some decent weather for me?

ColinJ, Lullabelle and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  3. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Nemesis Ridiculii Staff Member

Quite possibly. Doug, Gav and I usually get a walk in somewhere in the Shropshire Hills between Christmas and the New Year. It depends on weather and other plans of course so we'll discuss it nearer the time I'm sure.

ColinJ, Lakeslover and Lullabelle like this.
  4. Lakeslover

Lakeslover Regular Member

Yes I would love to get one in this year, hopefully the ruddy Man Flu will leave us alone this time!!

ColinJ and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  5. oldfatfool

oldfatfool Regular Member

So long as there isnt a foot of snow or really freezing temps then we will be up in the dales for a week over xmas so plenty of walking (and cycling) planned. @Rocky where are you planning to stay? Just being nosey like if you come up with some nice routes :okay:

ColinJ and TVC like this.
  6. Rocky

I'm staying in the Wensleydale area - we used to own a cottage up that way and so it'll be a trip down memory lane. I'll try and do Great Shunner Fell from Hawes, take a trip to Cotterdale, and do a few low level routes round. I'm not sure if I'll take my bike and do some hills as well.

7. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

Have you taken to calling him Gravel to his face now then?

ColinJ and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  8. Rocky

Yes....and he replies Dr Gravel to you

ColinJ, TVC, Lullabelle and 1 other person like this.
  9. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

I am going to Hebden Bridge again this Christmas to see my stepdaughter and her mum (my ex). Last year I did a 50 km bike ride there and back 'the long way' but I may opt to walk there and back this time. It is about 8 km each way, mainly along the Rochdale canal towpath.

Rickshaw Phil, Rocky and Lullabelle like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

We have bought next years calendar, we have been to most of the places mentioned

P_20171112_142732.jpg

P_20171112_142752.jpg

Rickshaw Phil, Rocky and ColinJ like this.
  11. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Regular Member

Lovely Wife and I will take the short drive to Scout Scar, Kendal, have a mooch and visit 'our boy's spot' where his ashes were spread - just the other side of the little ridge leading rightwards down the escarpment on the near horizon.

He's seen here in standard Weimaraner nose to ground walking posture.

P1000007.JPG

Rickshaw Phil, Rocky and Lullabelle like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

Our plans have changed. My dad originally wanted to have Christmas on his own, not happy about that but he is old enough to make his own decisions, he has now changed his mind and asked to come to ours so instead of a long walk then cold light lunch we will be having a cooked lunch. For the first time ever I will be cooking it under TVC's expert eye.

Rickshaw Phil, Rocky and Spokey Dokey like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

Weimaraners are beautiful creatures.

Spokey Dokey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice