Utility walking..?

Discussion in 'The Bothy (off topic)' started by NorthernDave, Nov 6, 2017.

1. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Member

I'm guessing I might be preaching to a receptive audience with this, but is "utility" walking something that is becoming a thing of the past?
    You know, walking to get somewhere or to do something, rather than using any other means of transport - like the car or a bus?

Let me give you a couple of recent examples.
    I needed a new lightbulb. The local Screwfix (about half a mile away) had one in stock, so I walked up there with the dog (which he was quite happy about, but dogs like any walk don't they? :laugh: ) and back down. As I got home, my neighbour was by his door and as we had a quick chat he seemed genuinely shocked that I'd walked the and back, rather than using the car. It never even entered my mind to drive there, but he couldn't understand that anyone would walk that distance when they had a car.

A few days later, we took the dog to the vets for a check up. The vets is just over a mile away, but we added a bit extra on so we could take him across some fields making the round trip about 3 miles on a gloriously sunny day. The receptionist seemed surprised that not only had we walked there but also intended to walk "all the way" home again.

It makes me wonder, it really does.

2. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

The village shop is five minutes walk away - I get most of my milk there.
    Most other places are too far to walk (8 miles or so each way), but I frequently cycle to Screwfix, B&Q etc, as long as what I am getting will fit in a pannier.

My main utility walking is connected with the car, which seems quite ironic. The nearest garage for repairs is about 2.5 miles away, in the next town, so I drive in and walk home across the fields. Next day I have another nice walk across the fields in the opposite direction.
    I could get the bus if I got my timing right, but I'd much rather walk.

3. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

My 78 year old dad walks every day, his local Morrisons for groceries, any medical appointments etc..

NorthernDave likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    NorthernDave

NorthernDave Member

I'm the same when I take our car to the garage - it's on the opposite side of the town to where I work, but it's only about a half hour walk each way

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still walks some of the time :laugh:

Our local Co-op is about a 7 minute walk away (if I get a wriggle on), but most of our neighbours drive there every time rather than walk - I couldn't be doing with the hassle of driving that distance.

5. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

Round the village for me. Some of my neighbours drive the 300 metres to the shop, but not me. Any further and I'd cycle.

I didn't know they had a Doctors surgery at Morrison's now!

6. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

I don't drive so I either walk or cycle to the shops. Lidl is about 1 km by the most direct route but I often go out on a longer route via a hill to get more exercise and come back the shorter, flatter way when carrying my rucksack full of shopping.

I often nip out to the railway station to pick up a copy of the Metro (I like to do the crosswords) and that is about a 1.7 km round trip (walk or ride), again often with a small hill added on to get my heart rate high for a few seconds.

classic33 and NorthernDave like this.
  7. LonesomeWanderer

LonesomeWanderer New Member

I walk to the shop ten minutes away on the far side of the village but there's always a massive scrabble of cars looking for parking so I guess most people don't.

I like to walk to the supermarkets and bigger shops 3 miles away whenever possible but when the fields and lanes are too muddy I don't like to traipse mud all through the shops.

NorthernDave and Rocky like this.
  8. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

Which reminds me - I forgot to do it today! I am out of food and I want today's crosswords so I'll catch you later ... :hello:

NorthernDave likes this.
  9. Strolling Guy

Strolling Guy New Member

There was the time I had to walk six miles home in the dark after I missed the last train home.

NorthernDave likes this.
  10. Lullabelle

We have been known to walk about 2 miles to get into town, do a bit of shopping then walk back, no faff with car parking :okay:

NorthernDave likes this.
  11. s7eph

s7eph Member

i once walked from London Bridge to Bromley Kent after work when the trains went on strike, and i was wearing high heels :rolleyes:

NorthernDave, Lullabelle and Rocky like this.
  12. Summerdays

Summerdays Regular Member

I like to walk to go to the shops if I'm not doing a huge shop, and I aim to get 7000 steps on my watch thing each day (it doesn't record all my steps so I set the bar a little lower). For me the hardest part is walking through that door, but once I have a reason then I'll do it even in poor weather. In nice weather it isn't a chore at all to get through the door.

13. Lullabelle

When it comes to walking my boss usually says that she could not walk the distances we do, knowing what she is like when it comes to shopping she probably does do the mileage :dry:

Summerdays likes this.
  14. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

Anyone with the requisite number of limbs and organs can do it, and even some without. Its simply a lack of will, and bone idle laziness that stops them.

15. pipes

pipes Regular Member

Often walk to the shop along the sea wall only a couple of miles. Once walked 12 miles from Folkestone to home because the wait for the next bus was 2 hours.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice