1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Machine walk (if you could safely walk through any event in history)

Discussion in 'The Bothy (off topic)' started by Grayson, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Grayson

Grayson Member

Just for a bit of fun - if you could safely walk through any event in history what would it be?

For me, having read some historical novels around the period, I think I'd go for The Battle of Hastings.

odav and Cartable like this.
  2. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I love the spy stories around the Cold War. I’d love to be walking across Glienicke Bridge when Gary Powers was exchanged for Rudolf Abel.

odav, Cartable and Grayson like this.
  3. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

The Liberation of Auschwitz.

Grayson and Rocky like this.
  4. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Oh goodness, having listened to Winford Vaughan-Thomas' account of the liberation of Belsen, I would find that one a struggle. It is an incredibly important moment in history, though. We took our lads to the Imperial War Museum exhibition of the liberation of the concentration camps (it was on in early 2000, I think) as we thought it vital that they learnt about it.

Grayson, odav and Cartable like this.
  5. odav

odav Regular Member

I would like to put my tweed clobber on, journey back to 1932, and join the Kinder mass trespass.

Grayson, Daddy Pig, Cartable and 2 others like this.
  6. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Member

Walking with the dinosaurs would be quite cool.

7. OP
    OP
    Grayson

Grayson Member

Some interesting points in history there ... :smile:

8. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Nemesis Ridiculii Staff Member

Not as exciting as some on here: I'd like to walk round the Lake District before motor cars were common. The Edwardian era appeals but I couldn't give a specific reason for why.

9. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Member

Unspoiled landscape?

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  10. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Nemesis Ridiculii Staff Member

Yes, there are also other things l like about the era such as the clothing and the steam launches.