Time Machine walk (if you could safely walk through any event in history)

Discussion in 'The Bothy (off topic)' started by Grayson, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Grayson

Grayson Regular Member

Just for a bit of fun - if you could safely walk through any event in history what would it be?

For me, having read some historical novels around the period, I think I'd go for The Battle of Hastings.

odav and Cartable like this.
  2. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I love the spy stories around the Cold War. I’d love to be walking across Glienicke Bridge when Gary Powers was exchanged for Rudolf Abel.

odav, Cartable and Grayson like this.
  3. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

The Liberation of Auschwitz.

Grayson and Rocky like this.
  4. Rocky

Oh goodness, having listened to Winford Vaughan-Thomas' account of the liberation of Belsen, I would find that one a struggle. It is an incredibly important moment in history, though. We took our lads to the Imperial War Museum exhibition of the liberation of the concentration camps (it was on in early 2000, I think) as we thought it vital that they learnt about it.

Grayson, odav and Cartable like this.
  5. odav

odav Guest

I would like to put my tweed clobber on, journey back to 1932, and join the Kinder mass trespass.

Grayson, Daddy Pig, Cartable and 2 others like this.
  6. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Regular Member

Walking with the dinosaurs would be quite cool.

7. OP
    OP
    Grayson

Grayson Regular Member

Some interesting points in history there ... :smile:

8. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Nemesis Ridiculii Staff Member

Not as exciting as some on here: I'd like to walk round the Lake District before motor cars were common. The Edwardian era appeals but I couldn't give a specific reason for why.

9. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Regular Member

Unspoiled landscape?

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  10. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Nemesis Ridiculii Staff Member

Yes, there are also other things l like about the era such as the clothing and the steam launches.

11. tonyg52

tonyg52 Member

Eureka Stockade

12. Rocky

Do say more.....I've been to Ballarat - it's a quaint, almost colonial, place. The one thing I remember was that the lake had dried up, when we were there, because of the drought (in 2010, I think). But I know little of the history of the miners' uprising and what happened at the stockade.

13. tonyg52

tonyg52 Member

The Eureka stockade has achieved a mythical status in Australia: Geoffrey Blainey wrote: Eureka became a legend, a battlecry for nationalists. republicans, liberals, radicals, or communists, each creed finding in the rebellion the lessons they liked to see. Or as Evatt wrote: "The Eureka Stockade was of crucial importance in the making of Australian democracy"; Robert Menzies, later Liberal Prime Minister, said that "the Eureka revolution was an earnest attempt at democratic government"; and, Ben Chifley, former ALP Prime Minister, wrote that "Eureka was more than an incident or passing phase. It was greater in significance than the short-lived revolt against tyrannical authority would suggest. The permanency of Eureka in its impact on our development was that it was the first real affirmation of our determination to be masters of our own political destiny."

I suspect it was really about paying of taxes, it would be nice to know.

None the less I was proud to march under the Eureka flag for the Australian republican movement.

Rocky likes this.
  14. Alicat

Alicat Regular Member

There's no way I would call that fun; having watched Night will Fall, I think it would be just too much.

I would like to take a walk among herbivore dinosaurs.

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice