1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Spine Race 2018 - 268 miles (with link to live tracker to see how everyone is doing)

Discussion in 'Long Distance Walks (Hiking and Trekking)' started by Cartable, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

https://thespinerace.com/

The Montane Spine Race is widely regarded as one of the world’s toughest endurance races. A truly epic challenge that will test your physical resilience and mental fortitude. Racing non-stop along the most iconic trail in the UK, you will experience the full intensity and ferocity of the British Winter. Prepare yourself for the biggest challenge of your life.

It is open to anyone with appropriate experience who wishes to test themselves and compete in a truly demanding race. Expect to face extreme weather, deep snow, ice, mud, bogs, ground water, storm force winds and driving rain in a gruelling, non-stop, 7-day race from Edale to Kirk Yetholm.

It’s not just the conditions that are against you, your own body and mind could become your worst enemy. Tiredness, fatigue, sleep deprivation and exposure to the extremes of winter weather are all to be expected. To finish you must be prepared and willing to push yourself harder than ever before.

This looks like an absolute epic challenge considering the weather at this time of year, and certainly something you'd need to be mentally tough to take on.

You can follow it live - here: http://live.thespinerace.com/

Jim Mann currently leading the men's at 181 miles ... with Carol Morgan at 141 for the ladies.

Slowandsteady likes this.
  2. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Good grief. I think walking it would be too much effort!

Cartable likes this.
  3. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I've been following it!! I'm so impressed - the terrain is difficult, the distances are amazing and the weather is pretty awful. The fastest I've covered the 268 miles is 12 days including a couple of 32 mile days. I'm just in awe.

Cartable likes this.
  4. Rocky

It’s getting exciting now as they approach Byrness.

5. OP
    OP
    Cartable

Jim Mann retired yesterday. He'd had a sore quad from a fall on day one, and fell in another hole yesterday and wrenched it again, so had to drop out. What a shame, he was doing well.

6. OP
    OP
    Cartable

Eoin Keith out now too @ 232 miles - he didn't want to become a safety risk. Must be the most gruelling trek in this current windy / snowy weather - tough cookies the lot of them!

7. Rocky

Wow!! Pulling out at 232 miles with the end in sight. That takes some guts.

Cartable likes this.
  8. Rocky

I see that of 20.30hrs on Weds (today) the racers are being held at the nearest checkpoint because of the poor weather conditions.

Cartable likes this.
  9. Rocky

.....and Pavel Paloncy has won it in a time of 109hrs 50 mins 22 secs. What an absolute star!! The next two are just at Windy Gyle so should finish early tomorrow.

Carol Morgan is the leading woman and just going through Redesdale Forest on the way to the old YH at Byrness. She’s got about 35 miles to go. Chapeau

10. Rocky

That’s all over for another year. I’ve huge amount of respect for these athletes. Just amazing 268 miles in awful weather in under 7 days.

Slowandsteady and Rickshaw Phil like this.