The Long Pathway - Te Araroa

Discussion in 'Long Distance Walks (Hiking and Trekking)' started by enbee, Feb 3, 2018.

1. enbee

enbee Member

Hi folks

My first post here so not really sure where this goes as its about both long distance walking and international walks. So maybe I'll start here and if it's wrong I'm sure someone will no doubt tell me.

Anyway, The Long Pathway, or as its known in New Zealand.....Te Araroa...a 3500 km walk from the top of the North Island to the bottom of the South Island.....but you probably all knew that anyway.

I've been planning to walk this for quite some time, but unfortunately 'life' has this terrible habit of intervening every time....but this year is going to be THE year.....I can feel it in these old bones of mine.

And so, the point of this post is to put the thought out there to see if anyone fancies the idea of perhaps joining me?

It is a major expedition and not something that one can take lightly, so it requires a lot of time, money and commitment, but nevertheless doable and well worth the effort.

If anyone is remotely interested and/or would like more information please feel free to get in touch.

Cheers

enbee

Its all about the memories

Slowandsteady, Rickshaw Phil and odav like this.
  2. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Welcome NB

I'd love to join you but I'm stuck here in the rainy UK. Good luck with the walk, it looks interesting. Do let us know how you get on!!

3. odav

odav Guest

I would love to join you! My wife, kids, and boss, would probably have something to say about it though!

4. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Nemesis Ridiculii Staff Member

Another one who is a bit too far away (and skint) to join you but I'd love to see pictures and a write up when you've done it. Sounds great.:okay:

5. Lakeslover

Lakeslover Regular Member

Sounds fabulous and if I win the lottery I’ll join you!! Look forward to hearing about your trip anyway.

6. OP
    OP
    enbee

enbee Member

Thanks for the replies......I know its a major undertaking and very time consuming adventure, not to mention costly, so I fully understand everyone's concerns.

I guess being in Oz makes things a little easier logistically, and cheaper of course.

I don't plan to start until November so there's still time should anyone wish to get on board.

I'll keep you updated as and when.

Cheers

NB

7. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

Looks like an ambitious trek. How are the plans going @enbee? What have you got sorted so far?

enbee likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    enbee

enbee Member

Hi Cartable

So far so good, but then again as I said in the initial post I've planned to do this thru hike for quite a time now so have done most of the leg work re logistics, most of the gear etc, but there's always new and interesting stuff coming out all the time so my 'wish list' is a moving feast.

Cartable likes this.
  9. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Regular Member

Good luck. That looks like quite an adventure. Is there a lot of climbing / scrambling involved?

enbee likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    enbee

enbee Member

There's a fair bit of scrambling, not so much climbing, unless you're way off course, and the highest point is at Stag Saddle which rises to 1295m (4273ft)...probably the most challenging aspect are the many river crossings and the chance of being caught out by flash floods on the wider crossings of the South Island....the NZ weather being an ever present danger in and of itself anyway. Other than that its a very, very long walk in one of the most spectacularly beautiful countries in the world.....interested...?

Slowandsteady likes this.
  11. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Regular Member

It does sound fabulous enbee, but sadly I'm not at liberty to take you up on the offer. Look forward to reading about it though. :smile:

12. Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig Regular Member

I've done a bit of walking in NZ and i reckon the logistics are probably going to be the biggest problem for you. I know a lot of the accommdation gets booked up well in advance on a number of the trails as they are so popular so you will have to make it run like clockwork.

Good luck and I hope you have a great time!
    You may also want to get a compass for the southern hemisphere for accuracy!

enbee likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    enbee

enbee Member

Thanks for the advice Daddy Pig....as it happens I live in Oz and have done a lot of the TA on the South Island in sections already so the logistics are pretty much sorted, just a few things to sort out for the North Island.

I'll be camping for most of it and have a hut pass for the rest, but doubtless there will be times when I'll be looking at staying in other accommodation for a hot bath and soft bed, even if it is only for one night.....and I'm also hoping to keep the cost down too.

Cheers

Daddy Pig likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice