Suggestion should on how to mend a jacket please?

Discussion in 'Gear, Equipment and Clothing' started by Summerdays, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Summerdays

Summerdays Regular Member

i was out for a short amble tonight and stepped to the side to let someone pass in the dark but snagged my coat on a dead briar in the process. It's now leaking down.... I keep pushing it in and it makes its way out very shortly afterwards.

My husband's suggestion will be gaffs tape... mine .... I'm not sure it an Alpkit down jacket a few years old now, and it's on the elbow.
    IMG_7985.JPG IMG_7987.JPG

2. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

McNett's tenacious tape is designed for exactly this.

Summerdays likes this.
  3. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Mrs R used a bit of old sleeping bag stuff bag (if you see what I mean) - it was the only thing that was vaguely the right colour

314D861B-5E15-4597-8557-E6F11484A14D.jpeg

Summerdays likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Summerdays

I've never heard of that... I'll google it....

5. OP
    OP
    Summerdays

Hmm we probably have a sleeping bag that blue as it's a favourite colour of mine....

6. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

I suspect that if you just sew a bit of nylon over the hole, down might still leak out between the stitches. I have an old down jacket that I wear around the house (don't keep the heating on all day while I'm sitting browsing CycleChat working, and that leaks bits of down from places where the seams are wearing.

I'd do both. Gaffer tape or something else to stick a patch across it, then a blue patch to diguise the mend as much as you can.

7. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

Don't laugh. A puncture repair kit.

Summerdays likes this.
  8. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

:laugh:

TVC likes this.
  9. raleighnut

raleighnut Regular Member

ElbowPatches08text.jpg

10. Smeggers II

Smeggers II Member

To be rather topical, I used a bike puncture patch....

upload_2017-11-15_11-35-56.png

...its been there ages.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Summerdays likes this.
  11. Alicat

Alicat Regular Member

Contact Alpkit. They may have a repair service.

Summerdays likes this.
  12. Reiver

Reiver Active Member

This is the back of my much loved Buffalo jacket and various tapes I have tried (too much sitting on my arse is probaly likely cause of damage), That grey stuff was some iron on bollox but did not last well and doesnt look good, the black is gaffer tape and seems to be as good as anything, dog ears a bit in the corners - but the best is that green stuff which is Spinnaker repair tape, that has been on a long time, had many good soakings and still looks good.
    tape_3275.JPG

Summerdays likes this.
  13. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Regular Member

Good kit, generally too hot (even with the big side zips) for me except for low level walking in very cold temperatures.

I've used their v.good repair service a few times over the years.

14. Reiver

Reiver Active Member

yes they are no good for the ascent, far too warm. I would keep it my pack and put it on before breaking the ridge/top, then it is just a wonderful bit of kit for ridgewalking, I just love that big hand warmer pouch across the front - great bit of kit

Spokey Dokey likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Summerdays

Even if they don't have a repair service they might have some advice. Thanks. They do give information on how to wash it on the site.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice