Suggestion should on how to mend a jacket please?

Summerdays

i was out for a short amble tonight and stepped to the side to let someone pass in the dark but snagged my coat on a dead briar in the process. It's now leaking down.... I keep pushing it in and it makes its way out very shortly afterwards.

My husband's suggestion will be gaffs tape... mine .... I'm not sure it an Alpkit down jacket a few years old now, and it's on the elbow.
IMG_7985.JPG
IMG_7987.JPG

Andy_R

Of dubious origin....
Staff member
McNett's tenacious tape is designed for exactly this.

Spinney

Staff member
I suspect that if you just sew a bit of nylon over the hole, down might still leak out between the stitches. I have an old down jacket that I wear around the house (don't keep the heating on all day while I'm sitting browsing CycleChat working, and that leaks bits of down from places where the seams are wearing.

I'd do both. Gaffer tape or something else to stick a patch across it, then a blue patch to diguise the mend as much as you can.

raleighnut

ElbowPatches08text.jpg

Smeggers II

i was out for a short amble tonight and stepped to the side to let someone pass in the dark but snagged my coat on a dead briar in the process. It's now leaking down.... I keep pushing it in and it makes its way out very shortly afterwards.

My husband's suggestion will be gaffs tape... mine .... I'm not sure it an Alpkit down jacket a few years old now, and it's on the elbow.
View attachment 268 View attachment 269
To be rather topical, I used a bike puncture patch....

upload_2017-11-15_11-35-56.png

...its been there ages.

Last edited:

Reiver

This is the back of my much loved Buffalo jacket and various tapes I have tried (too much sitting on my arse is probaly likely cause of damage), That grey stuff was some iron on bollox but did not last well and doesnt look good, the black is gaffer tape and seems to be as good as anything, dog ears a bit in the corners - but the best is that green stuff which is Spinnaker repair tape, that has been on a long time, had many good soakings and still looks good.
tape_3275.JPG

Spokey Dokey

This is the back of my much loved Buffalo jacket and various tapes I have tried (too much sitting on my arse is probaly likely cause of damage), That grey stuff was some iron on bollox but did not last well and doesnt look good, the black is gaffer tape and seems to be as good as anything, dog ears a bit in the corners - but the best is that green stuff which is Spinnaker repair tape, that has been on a long time, had many good soakings and still looks good.
View attachment 345
Good kit, generally too hot (even with the big side zips) for me except for low level walking in very cold temperatures.

I've used their v.good repair service a few times over the years.

Reiver

Good kit, generally too hot (even with the big side zips) for me except for low level walking in very cold temperatures.

I've used their v.good repair service a few times over the years.
yes they are no good for the ascent, far too warm. I would keep it my pack and put it on before breaking the ridge/top, then it is just a wonderful bit of kit for ridgewalking, I just love that big hand warmer pouch across the front - great bit of kit

Top Bottom