Strange encounters: who or what have you come across whilst out walking?

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Cartable, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

Now and then you stumble across unexpected and strange sights or people. For example, the mature couple dressed as school children (I kid you not!) ... and the wolves roaming around a large enclosure in someone's back garden!

What oddities have you come across when out walking?

Rocky and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  2. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

Walking up Ben Nevis we were approached by a bloke with no boots on. Turns out he'd stopped for a rest, taken his boots off and now couldn't find them. We searched in vain but gave up, by which time there was a hillside of people looking for his boots. So there you go, never take your boots off for a rest.

raleighnut and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  3. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Nemesis Ridiculii Staff Member

The first one that sprang to mind was when I was cycling home from work rather than walking: A chap strolling round the edge of a field while playing the violin.

Another one I've already mentioned in another thread, which was the lady heading up Coniston Old Man wearing moccasins. The rest of her clothing wasn't exactly ideal mountain gear either.

I'm sure there's more I'll remember when I've had a think.:laugh:

Lakeslover and classic33 like this.
  4. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

I can do better than moccasins, we were doing a loop around Dovedale and crested a hill into a cow field to find an Indian family, including two young women in full party saris and high heel sandals. How they got there I have no idea, we were at least half a mile and a couple of hundred feet climb from the nearest road and a couple of miles from the car park. Their sharp heels were digging into the mud as they staggered round the cow pancakes but they had a steely determination, wherever they thought they were going.

5. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I was followed by a dog when I walked the Pennine Way a couple of years ago. It joined me just after Black Hill and refused to leave me until I got to Saddleworth Moor. I was seriously wondering where I'd be able to get dog food for it, if it had stayed with me for any longer.

6. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

A dog followed us up Coniston Old Man once, and back down again. It was a bit of a pest, occasionally barking at dogs with other walkers. It only buggered off when we tried to persuade the policeman in Coniston to take charge of it.

raleighnut, Rocky and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  7. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

A naked couple getting very, erm, 'biological' on Orford Ness.

8. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Regular Member

Similar - my dog discovered a young couple where she was naked from the waist up and he was rubbing in sun tan lotion.

This was on a descent from Crinkle Crags - I heard a squeal, went to investigate and there was my dog attempting to lick the oily lotion off the embarrassed young lady. :smile:

9. pubrunner

pubrunner New Member

Just a few years ago, I was walking on edge of the Berwyns and I met two old guys who had lost their way. Before I set them on their way, I asked them how far they had come; "We drove over from Hawarden this morning", was the reply. "Hawarden", says I, "home of Gladstone".

"Yes, my Great-Grandfather",
    said the older fella. What was most impressive, was that this Sir William Gladstone was over 90, but was clearly physically capable, of walking in rather challenging terrain - and a very nice, down-to-earth fella he was too ! We had a good chat, after which they set off at a very respectable pace.

10. raleighnut

raleighnut Regular Member

I was in Bakewell once and bumped into my Sister and her Husband, not that strange you may think but we live 100 miles apart (she moved with our parents up to Knutsford when Dads job moved from GEC in Whetstone)

Rickshaw Phil and Rocky like this.
  11. Summerdays

Summerdays Regular Member

Years ago, I remember walking into some fields with lamas when it was an uncommon sight, and our kids were little but loved seeing the big sheep!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    raleighnut, Rickshaw Phil and Rocky like this.
  12. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

Maybe she/he was just making sure you reached your destination safely, keeping you safe.

13. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Nemesis Ridiculii Staff Member

Slightly off topic but along similar lines; I learned to sail on Coniston Water and it turned out that my instructor for the course was originally from the village near Shrewsbury where I live.

raleighnut, Summerdays and Rocky like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice