Spell checker

Discussion in 'Site Support' started by Spinney, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

The spell checker seems to be set to American (it's happy with favorite, not with favourite, likes color but not colour, etc).
    Can this be set to proper English, please?

2. Shaun

Shaun Active Member Staff Member

The site doesn't have a spell checker @Spinney - it'll be your browser that is offering those suggestions, so it probably needs tweaking in the settings there.

What browser / platform are you using?

Cheers,
    Shaun :biggrin:

3. OP
    OP
    Spinney

Chrome.
    I thought I'd checked that by tying in UK spellings in a different website, where it didn't put the wiggly line under proper spellings.
    Hmm. Facebook is US, but I kind of expected that.
    My settings have English at the top of the preferred languages list, with English (United States) below that, so it seems Chrome is set to proper English.

4. Shaun

Shaun Active Member Staff Member

I think it needs changing to English (United Kingdom).

Click on the three dots - top right - and select Settings. Scroll down and click the arrow below Advanced to expand the settings. Scroll down the Languages and expand the Spell Check section and enable English (United Kingdom):

upload_2017-11-8_20-13-26.png

Does this help?

Cheers,
    Shaun :biggrin:

5. OP
    OP
    Spinney

Sort of.
    I had the display language set to English, hadn't looked as far down as the spell check bit!
    Now, I can unselect the US English, but the button next to UK English won't move. No idea why not!
    But ICBA to sort it out - I usually ignore the red squiggles anyway.
    Thanks for helping.

Shaun likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice