Show us your knives!

Discussion in 'Gear, Equipment and Clothing' started by odav, Nov 21, 2017.

1. odav

odav Guest

One of the joys of camping is having the chance to use your knife!
    Let's see what everyone has.
    15112604864971672949594.jpg
    My battered old Swiss Army Knife has been refurbished, free of charge, once. It has picked up more battle scars again, but I'm sure it will outlive me.
    I use my Webley & Scott knife for the bigger jobs.

2. Reiver

Reiver Active Member

in all my years of hillwalking / wild camping don't think I have ever had any need for a knife, I have a scalpel blade in my emergency kit in case I have ever needed to cut anything (t is the smallest lightest blade I can think of) but can't remember ever having cause to use that. I have a plastic spoon for eating with and if I felt the need a tent peg for stirring the pasta. Everything about my kit needs to be super light or have duel function.

What do you use yours for?

odav likes this.
  3. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

I used to carry a swiss army penknife, but mislaid it and never bothered to replace. It only ever got used to cut up an apple if I was feeling like sharing it!

But your post reminded me of this:
    now-thats-a-knife.jpg

Drago II - the sequel and odav like this.
  4. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

I have a Mora Bushcraft - it's used mainly for prepping kindling and batoning etc. for campfires, and the square ground back of the blade works well with a firesteel.

odav likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    odav

odav Guest

Much the same as @Andy_R above. Use the bigger on for cutting up steaks and stuff when Ive got other people with me and limited pan space, and hacking wood for the little stove. The saw blade on the Swiss Army one is great for cutting up bigger fallen branches.
    I'm just a big kid and like playing with knives and not getting in trouble!

Reiver likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    odav

odav Guest

:blush: glad I didn't start a crossbow thread now.

Rocky and Spinney like this.
  7. raleighnut

raleighnut Regular Member

Opinel, I've had mine for 40yrs. The No 6 is about the right size

UipocTg.jpg

BTW not my own one in the piccy, just a random link off t'internet.

8. OP
    OP
    odav

odav Guest

I would never go camping without my Swiss Army Knife! I only generally take sporks as cutlery and would be lost without it.
    I had mine repaired for free at Burton McCall a couple of years ago as part of the lifetime warranty. Took a while to get it back but what a great service.
    It's one of my favourite possessions!

raleighnut likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice