Recommend an all weathers coat for a budget of around £120

Discussion in 'Gear, Equipment and Clothing' started by Tribble, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Tribble

Tribble Regular Member

I know, I know, it is probably impossible to find a coat that will cover all seasons, so perhaps I should ask for suggestions for something that will get me through from late September, early October when it starts to get a bit chilly ... all through the dark, damp, cold winter, and back into spring.

I don't know if they exist but maybe something that has a removable inner fleece lining that can be added back in for the coldest winter months.

Has to be waterproof, of course, and lightweight too as it will be used all day on several occasions so nothing that is going to get wet and heavy and lead to me getting cold.

Mission impossible or do such fantasy coats exist? ^_^

2. Ashness

Ashness New Member

Take a look at Sprayway stuff - various prices, some with zip-in fleece jackets.
    Last year I needed to buy a breathable waterproof in a hurry (discovered the old one leaked only days before a 4-day trip!), and Sprayway were the only make in Go Outdoors that had a map pocket big enough to take OS maps (many American brands have map pockets that are far too small).
    The only down side was it is in girly pink! But it cost below £120.
    If you shop in Go Outdoors, it is worth forking out £5 to buy their discount card, if you're buying something like a jacket, you save far more than that in the first transaction.

Tribble and Shaun like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Tribble

Tribble Regular Member

4. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

Spokey Dokey, Tribble and Spinney like this.
  5. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Although a decent weight coat can help. I've got a lined goretex I reserve for real winter walking, and prefer a lighter weight jacket in the summer (such as it is in this country!)

Tribble likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Tribble

Tribble Regular Member

You mean like wearing a vest, t-shirt, shirt, jumper and then a coat on top. That sort of thing? So I could get a coat or jacket that I could wear all year round and then in winter just add clothes underneath to keep warmer. Is there a jacket you would recommend?

7. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Try for wicking layers under your waterproof, and get a breathable waterproof, if you can. Best go to somewhere like Go Outdoors, Cotswold or similar and ask their advice.

Tribble likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Tribble

Tribble Regular Member

Okay, thanks, I'll have a look around. :smile:

9. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Regular Member

I go very lightweight with a coat even for 4 seasons. I agree with the already stated notion that a coat (outer layer) is really only needed to keep out the rain and wind and more critically the two in combination.

I use a high wicking base layer eg Helly Hansen Lifa and a variety of different weight fleeces depending on time of year and weather 'on the day' plus a simple lightweight shell.

Tribble likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice