Posting maps of routes

Discussion in 'Site Support' started by TVC, Oct 28, 2017.

1. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

Is there any mapping software we can use to record our self generated routes and either post here as an image or a link? I would like to post about my favourite walk, which is in Edale and Kinder but I need a map to help explain what I think is so good about it.

2. Ashness

Ashness New Member

The Ordnance Survey don't like you using their mapping unless you pay.
    I sometimes use bikehike. If you select the OSMcycle map, it might be adequate to show the walk. This is a screenshot of the Ambleside area, and it seems to mark both paths and rights of way.

upload_2017-10-28_19-20-39.png

Shaun likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    TVC

Just tried it, yes that was good for plotting the route, so there is definitely no copyright infringement in posting screenshots from OSMcycle maps here?

4. Ashness

Ashness New Member

I don't think so, the OS stands for Open Source, I think.
    @Shaun might know different, though.

TVC likes this.
  5. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

It's "Open Street Map", and from their website the following:

OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to use under an open licence.

It's excellent for plotting routes, and using in conjunction with Ordnance Survey maps.

TVC, Shaun and Spinney like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    TVC

Excellent, I will give it a go, then if I have time I'll write a 'how to' that we can post, but please don't hold me to it. Perhaps I could start a "Your favourite walks" thread

Andy_R likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice