Posting maps of routes

TVC

Staff member
Is there any mapping software we can use to record our self generated routes and either post here as an image or a link? I would like to post about my favourite walk, which is in Edale and Kinder but I need a map to help explain what I think is so good about it.

The Ordnance Survey don't like you using their mapping unless you pay.
I sometimes use bikehike. If you select the OSMcycle map, it might be adequate to show the walk. This is a screenshot of the Ambleside area, and it seems to mark both paths and rights of way.

upload_2017-10-28_19-20-39.png

OP
TVC

TVC

Staff member
Just tried it, yes that was good for plotting the route, so there is definitely no copyright infringement in posting screenshots from OSMcycle maps here?

Andy_R

Of dubious origin....
Staff member
I don't think so, the OS stands for Open Source, I think.
@Shaun might know different, though.
It's "Open Street Map", and from their website the following:

OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to use under an open licence.

It's excellent for plotting routes, and using in conjunction with Ordnance Survey maps.

OP
TVC

TVC

Staff member
It's "Open Street Map", and from their website the following:

OpenStreetMap is a map of the world, created by people like you and free to use under an open licence.

It's excellent for plotting routes, and using in conjunction with Ordnance Survey maps.
Excellent, I will give it a go, then if I have time I'll write a 'how to' that we can post, but please don't hold me to it. Perhaps I could start a "Your favourite walks" thread

Top Bottom