Natures shopping trolley - do you wild forage?

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Slowandsteady, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Regular Member

I've picked and eaten brambles (blackberries) but not much else. Do any of you wild forage? Do you know what fungi are edible and which species are poisonous?

2. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I don't wild forage because I'm always worried that I'll eat something that is poisonous or will make me feel ill. Even when I'm getting water, say from a lake, I tend to use a few drops of iodine to purify it. This is particularly so if I'm doing a long walk like Coast to Coast or the Pennine Way, as I'd hate to end up abandoning due to an upset stomach.

3. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

We have picked wild blackberries from as high up as we could reach but other than that no, I don't know what to look for/what is safe nor do I wan't anything that a wild creature has been around

4. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

I've picked field mushrooms - they're very easy to identify, but otherwise I've not forayed into fungi. Coastal forraging is a lot easier - most seaweed is edible, as are limpets and cockles. A word of warning about limpets though....only eat limpets if you really, really need to. It's like trying to chew your way through a tractor tyre, and about as tasty.

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  5. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Only blackberries, and occasionally elderberries.

6. pipes

pipes Regular Member

Plums, apples, blackberries, fish, mushrooms, shrimps, cockles, mussels but draw the line at road kill.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice