Letterewe & Fisherfield

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Reiver, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Reiver

Reiver Active Member

A two day trip taking in 3 Munros in probably one of the last of the few wilderness areas of the UK.

The first Munro, Beinn a' Chlaidheimh, has since been promoted to Corbett status after a resurvey showed it was only 2998', just short of being a Munro, hence it becomes a real jewel for the connoisseur.

w12595.jpg
    Looking west over Loch a' Bhraoin, the distant hill in the center is Slioch with
    Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair's southern top just visible to the right.

w12366.jpg
    Lochivraon at the western end of Loch a' Bhraoin

w12383.jpg
    6 miles in from the road and my first look at the hills. In the far distance to the left of Loch an Nid
    can be seen An Teallach. In the middle of the picture is my first hill Beinn a Chlaidheimh with
    Sgurr Ban being the very rocky hill on the far left.

w12395.jpg
    Rather worryingly cloud starts to lower onto Beinn a Chlaidheimh, not what the forecast had promised!
    This small beach on Loch an Nid provided an ideal place to rest and wait for the cloud to lift.

w12408.jpg
    Heading north to Beinn a Chlaidheimh.

w12413.jpg
    A wee Ptarmigan chick, so well camouflaged I walked through the entire brood nearly standing on them, if it had not been for the mother doing the broken wing routine I would have never spotted the young!

w12425.jpg
    Summit cairn of Beinn a Chlaidheimh with An Teallach making an impressive back drop.

w12424.jpg
    Looking down to Loch na Sealga with An Teallach to the right.

w12431.jpg
    Heading south off Beinn a Chlaidheimh towards Sgurr Ban, to its right is Beinn Tarsuinn
    withh Slioch being the distant hill.

w12456.jpg
    The Rocky summit of Sgurr Ban.

2. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Active Member

w12486.jpg
    Wild camping near the top of Sgurr Ban with a magnificent view north to An Teallach.
    This picture was taken just after sunset, and it didn't really get much darker than this, over the next
    few hours the pink glow on the left moved slowly rightwards until the sun reappeared to
    the right of An Teallach.

P12492.jpg
    Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, note the steep path making its way up on to its northern ridge.
    To the right Beinn Tarsuinn with Slioch in the middle distance, beyond can be seen the hills of Torridon.

w12498.jpg
    Looking over the summit cairn of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair to Beinn Tarsuinn.

P12513.jpg
    Looking back to Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair.

w12517.jpg
    Heading south east from Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair towards Sgurr Dubh.

w12522.jpg
    Looking west towards Slioch with Torridon behind.

p12526.jpg
    Looking back to Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair from the top of Sgur Dubh, this is a narrow pinnacled ridge
    that is as narrow and exposed as anything else on the mainland

w12538.jpg
    Heading down towards Loch an Nid.

w12542.jpg
    Looking back up to Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair. This large section of slabs is a spectacular feature and is
    worth a visit, could be interesting during periods of torrential rain, the run off is likely to be immense!

p12551.jpg
    Looking back up to Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair and Sgurr Ban, further to the right can be seen Beinn a Chlaidheimh
    An Teallach and Loch an Nid. The Area of slabs that can be seen is that of the previous two images.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Shaun likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Active Member

w12573.jpg
    Back to Lochivraon and Loch a' Bhraoin

w12575.jpg
    Heading east along the side of Loch a' Bhraoin, Ben Dearg is the big hill in the distance.
    show

Shaun and Rocky like this.
  4. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Stunning pics, Reiver. Thanks for posting!

5. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Wot she said ^^^^

Simply stunning, thanks :smile:

6. Shaun

Shaun Active Member Staff Member

Fantstic report @Reiver - thanks. :okay:

7. Tribble

Tribble Regular Member

Oh how I wished I lived near there ... amazing scenery, you lucky man, and how cute is that Ptarmigan chick? :smile: Great pics.

8. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

It rains a lot, and there are midges. I remind myself of that when I think about retiring to Scotland...

Shaun and Rocky like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice