Keld, North Yorkshire - features, sights and walks?

Discussion in 'Yorkshire Dales and Moors' started by Cartable, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

We may be going to a campsite in Keld, North Yorkshire for a few days in the summer and just wondered if anyone has visited or lives nearby and can recommend any walks, or features or sights worth seeing?

2. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

There's lots of lovely walks round there......my favourite is the walk to Muker (over the hill) and back round by the river. Mrs R and I did this over the Christmas break.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5ac9.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5ae4.jpg

Keld is on the Pennine Way and the Coast to Coast routes - so you can head north to Tan Hill, south to Thwaite, east to Reeth (via the lead mines) or west to Kirby Stephen (although some of this via Nine Standards Rigg is pretty boggy).

The Keld waterfalls are lovely as well

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5ad2.jpg

ColinJ, Cartable and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Cartable

Excellent - thanks a lot for the info and pics @Rocky - looks beautiful (and peaceful). The yurt idea has morphed into various other options and areas, but I'd still like to visit Keld, even if just for a day trip out. :smile:

Rocky likes this.
  4. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

I walked over from Keld to the village store in Muker in a snowstorm one day in late October. I loaded up my basket and went to the counter but was told to put most of the produce back ... It was out of the holiday season so all of the perishable goods and the newspapers had been bought to order for locals. The only things I could buy were non-perishables such as tinned food, rice and UHT milk!

I hadn't thought about how small shops in remote communities work. If I ever stay in an area like that again I will phone the shopkeeper the week before and order some supplies in advance.

Cartable, Grayson and Rocky like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Cartable

That's interesting @ColinJ - about the shopping - it wouldn't have occurred to me either that you couldn't buy what was on offer. :smile:

ColinJ and Rocky like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice