Is this challenge possible? (Wales to London in a week)

majorbomper

I've been thinking of training towards a challenging goal for 2020, and thought that walking from my home in South Wales to London would be an interesting one. Generally the route would consist of ~25-30 miles walking every day (with day 4 being a rest day, with only about 10 miles worth of walking, but with day 7 being an actual rest day having reached my destination on day 6!). While at first walking 7 marathons in a row may seem like a dumb idea, I'd really like to give it a go. In case it wasn't already obvious, I'm a complete beginner, but I'm willing to put a lot of training in to make it happen. I'm 17, but will be 18 by the time I'd consider going on the trip, so I'm not exactly fragile lol

General route -
Day 1:
Caerphilly -> Chepstow (~9hrs)

Day 2:
Chepstow -> Bath (~9:30hrs)

Day 3:
Bath -> Swindon (~11hrs)

Day 4:
Swindon -> Reading (~13:30hrs)

Day 5:
Reading -> Maidenhead (~4hrs)

Day 6:
Maidenhead -> Westminister (~9hrs)

Day 7:
End of trip!

Estimated time (not including breaks): ~56hrs

If you think you could improve the route in some way (I imagine splitting up day 4 may be a possible improvement) then please do respond, or you could just shoot it out of the water and say there's no way it could happen in a week, whatever you think is more appropriate lol

SteamyTea

When I was a teenager, I did the Devises to Westminster kayak race. That was 125 miles, non-stop.
Now I am not suggesting you paddle all the way, but the route was interesting and often thought about walking it.
One advantage of canals and rivers is that they are pretty flat, that speeds things up a bit, but you do have to watch out for dogs

OP
M

majorbomper

When I was a teenager, I did the Devises to Westminster kayak race. That was 125 miles, non-stop.
Now I am not suggesting you paddle all the way, but the route was interesting and often thought about walking it.
One advantage of canals and rivers is that they are pretty flat, that speeds things up a bit, but you do have to watch out for dogs
How long did that end up taking?

SteamyTea

Can't remember the exact time, but think it was just over 30 hours. I know we missed the tide and that made the last bit really tough.

Top Bottom