Ice axe skills - how to learn self arrest (and should you learn anything else)?

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Cartable, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

I've been thinking about an ice axe and have seen several references to self arrest.

Any advice on a safe way to learn how to self arrest and any other axe skills that might come in handy?

2. profpointy

profpointy New Member

For what it's worth I am self-taught, or strictly speaking, learnt it from a book: the rather wonderful book "Climbing Ice" by Yvon Chounard. (founder of Patagonia gear as well as being an noted mountaineer)

Quite a funny anecdote was me and a mate on Helvellyn one winter when I showed him how to ice axe brake. A year or so later he asked where I'd learnt and was shocked when I said I'd learnt it from a book, and had never actually done it before that occasion !

I dare say being taught by someone who actually knows what to do is better, but Chounard's written explanation worked for me

3. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

It's a useful skill, which I think you can teach yourself provided you find a suitable slope. I taught myself the basics but I did learn a lot more on an Alpine training Course at Glenmore lodge. By the end of that day I could fall backwards wearing crampons and right myself and arrest within a few metres. They also taught us to arrest at speed without the pick being torn out your hands which I once witnessed.

If you're going to carry an ice axe it's as well to know how to use it beyond leaning on it as a walking pole, arrest, step cutting, shelter building with it and even carrying it properly so it's accessible when you need it.

Cartable likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice