Hello from Whitby

Pitboot

Welcome to a very quiet forum. It often seems that when you post on here there are very few people looking and less responding! Good luck.

senior67

Welcome, Lovely part of the country you live in, great for cycling and walking, I spend a week every year staying at Ravenscar and walking the cinder track and the Cleveland Way and coastal paths from there, Robin Hoods Bay and Whitby being my 2 favourite places. Do you live in Whitby town or in one of the villages.?

OP
taximan

taximan

Thanks for your welcome guys. In answer to your query senior67, my home is in Whitby town itself and has been since about 1980. As it happens I walked to Robin Hoods Bay only yesterday via Golden Grove & Normanby Moor Top, Returning along the Cleveland Way, (a total of 15 miles). As a point of interest, The Cinder Track between Whitby Viaduct & Stainsacre is closed for resurfacing at the moment but hopefully it should be open again before too long.

senior67

Thanks for the information regarding the cinder track, if we are allowed to come we are booked in for the 1st week in September so may be done by then ?, as someone who lives in Whitby which fish and chip shop do you rate the best.
I see you are also a cyclist like me and having been in the area I know there are some big climbs although as a local you probably know the back lanes and easier rides.

OP
taximan

taximan

Thanks for the information regarding the cinder track, if we are allowed to come we are booked in for the 1st week in September so may be done by then ?, as someone who lives in Whitby which fish and chip shop do you rate the best.
I see you are also a cyclist like me and having been in the area I know there are some big climbs although as a local you probably know the back lanes and easier rides.

Just a guess at the moment but I would think the Cinder Track will re-open before the end of the month. It is only the section between Whitby Viaduct and Stainsacre that is affected at the moment.
Locals tend to use Royal Fisheries in Baxtergate (behind Boyes Store). However, most of the chippies in town are OK. I have noticed though that since lockdown, prices have climbed and portions have reduced in size, but I doubt that is confined to Whitby.
I am not sure about knowing easier rides. When we go out we generally manage around 1500 to 2000ft of climbing on a 20 mile circuit. If you plan to bring your bike with you, You will be welcome to join us for a 20 to 30 miler if you don't mind riding with a couple of old farts.

senior67

Thanks for the info and the offer of a ride although I wont be bringing my bike this time, I may take you up on your offer when I come again, just a thought is there anywhere in Whitby that hires road bikes,( I know of the ones that hire hybrid/leisure bikes) to use on the cinder track. By the way I also am an old fart.

OP
taximan

taximan

Thanks for the info and the offer of a ride although I wont be bringing my bike this time, I may take you up on your offer when I come again, just a thought is there anywhere in Whitby that hires road bikes,( I know of the ones that hire hybrid/leisure bikes) to use on the cinder track. By the way I also am an old fart.

As far as I am aware, only Trailways at Hawsker hire bikes but as you say, only hybrids. The only other alternative is a guy in Robin Hoods Bay who runs a bike repair business from home. He goes by the name of Doctor Crank and you can find him on facebook. He has a number of bikes of his own so he may be able to help.
I hope we don't get into bother talking cycling on a walking forum

senior67

You are probably right we should have used the cycle section forum, regarding walking related matters I understand that a tea shop has opened up at the old foghorn station near saltwick bay on the cleveland way and wondered if you had been and if so if it is any good.

OP
taximan

taximan

Thanks for your welcome guys. In answer to your query senior67, my home is in Whitby town itself and has been since about 1980. As it happens I walked to Robin Hoods Bay only yesterday via Golden Grove & Normanby Moor Top, Returning along the Cleveland Way, (a total of 15 miles). As a point of interest, The Cinder Track between Whitby Viaduct & Stainsacre is closed for resurfacing at the moment but hopefully it should be open again before too long.

The Cinder Track has now re-opened.

Top Bottom