Have you taken part in a charity walk or challenge?

Rocky

Regular
Staff member
I haven't done this one, Lu but I did do the Trailwalker a couple of years running. Its 100km across the South Downs Way and done in teams of four. You are given 27 hours to complete it and the whole thing is run by the Gurkhas in aid of Oxfam.

classic33

Done The Three Peaks, the Three National Peaks(24 hours), the four National Peaks(36 hours), the three highest in the Lake District, the Welsh 3,000 footers, Snowden Horseshoe and a more local one The Lyke Way walk . All for a bit of fun, raising money for charities in the process.

Last one left is the Five National Peaks(48 hours). Last time that was entered the drivers were unable to make the start, so it wasn't done.

Last edited:
Done The Three Peaks, the Three National Peaks(24 hours), the four National Peaks(36 hours), the three highest in the Lake District, the Welsh 3,000 footers, Snowden Horseshoe and a more local one The Lyke Way walk . All for a bit of fun, raising money for charities in the process.

Last one left is the Five National Peaks(48 hours). Last time that was entered the drivers were unable to make the start, so it wasn't done.
I won't sponsor anyone doing the National Three Peaks. There are so many reports of vehicles clogging up Wasdale for the Scafell Pike route, people not used to mountain walking needing to be rescued, plastic water bottles littering the place. Never mind the petrol wasted driving all those distances. Why not enjoy the mountains? If you want a physical challenge, do something like the Moonwalk instead.

As for the Lyke Wake Walk (not Lyke 'Way' Walk), see this from the Wikipedia article on it:
In its first few years the walk followed a difficult route requiring endeavour and physical endurance as there was no worn track over most of its length. From the mid-1970s the walk had to be re-thought because the numbers of people attempting it had, in places, eroded the ground surface,[19][20][21]and there was disturbance to game birds, sheep and wildlife by walkers and their support parties at all times of day and night, particularly in Osmotherley, Ravenscar and at remote farms. Footpath erosion was compounded by the walk sharing long stretches of its route with the Cleveland Way and Wainwright's Coast to Coast Walk. Other users, some legal, some illegal, including mountain bikes, motor cycles, quad bikes and agricultural and moorland management vehicles exacerbated the problem. Alternative routes are possible and the walk club works with the National Park authority to try to limit environmental damage.

The Ordnance Survey no longer denotes the Lyke Wake Walk route on its maps, at the recommendation of the National Park Authority, as a measure to discourage large numbers undertaking a crossing and the walk was not mentioned in National Park Authority publication for a number of years.
Long distance walking is fine, but spread yourself around - do a multi day walk, stay in hostels or B&Bs and buy food in pubs - help the local economy.

Tribble

Wow, sounds like you are super-fit. Were your workmates and family all fed up of being asked to sponsor you by the time you did the last one. :smile: What charities did you raise money for?

classic33

Wow, sounds like you are super-fit. Were your workmates and family all fed up of being asked to sponsor you by the time you did the last one. :smile: What charities did you raise money for?
Two cancer charities, local Search & Rescue Team(Calder Valley), a local hospice and the local Scout group(I was a Scout leader there and elsewhere).

Workmates thought I was nuts, but I was doing something I liked doing. I'm far from "super-fit", just enjoy walking amongst other things.

Top Bottom