Have you ever got to a point when climbing where you can't go up and have to come down?

Discussion in 'Climbing and Scrambling' started by Macron, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Macron

Macron Member

I have never tried climbing but hope to give it a go someday and wondered if any of you who climb have ever got to a point where you have to stop and go back / down, or do you always manage to find a way to reach the top?

2. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

More interesting is when you reach a spot where you can't go up or down. Then you have the embarrassment of having to be rescued.

You can ask me how I know this - I have read mountain rescue reports!

Macron likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Macron

Macron Member

Really, go on then, I have to ask - how do you know this? ^_^

4. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

Yep. Climbing it's not unusual to find yourself in a situation you don't like. Part of the skills you develop is extracting yourself from it. Walking and mountaineering in general, weather or approaching darkness often dictates you change your plans, it's why it's as well to have a plan in your head of where you need to be and when and to call it quits if you're not.

5. Spinney

I told you - I read mountain rescue reports. I've never got myself into that situation.

Part of my scrambling/climbing skill is realising I'm useless and have no head for heights, so I avoid it when I can. Sadly, OH likes scrambling.

6. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Touch wood, I've never been rescued but I have had a couple of hairy moments - Bristly Ridge on Glyder Fach was one such place....I did get stuck after taking the wrong route but after a couple of minutes calming myself down and rethinking where I was going, I made it to the top.

7. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Regular Member

Yes, on Great Carrs Buttress. G2 scramble but went off route as it looked interesting to do so (bad move).

Went up a short wide open crack for about 12' or so onto a skinny little platform about 15-18" wide with a hefty drop below. Then decided to friction climb the v.steep slab about 8' high leading off of the platform up to what looked like an interesting corner. Got to the corner and realised I couldn't go any further as ambition outweighed my abilities. Cue reverse slither down the slab as per cartoon character that has run into a wall slowly sliding down spread eagled.

Sadly my sliding down speed increased beyond what I thought it would and I hit the skinny platform quite hard and thought I was going to go over the edge - somehow I didn't.

Sat on the platform for maybe 20 minutes shaking and with big adrenaline hit in my kidneys.

Descended the chimney, got back on route and finished the scramble.

The most stupid thing I have ever done in the mountains and it's a lesson that has stuck with me ever since.

Stephenite and Spinney like this.
  8. Spinney

:eek:
    Sounds like that was nearly the end of Spokey Dokey!
    I try to never go up something I don't think I can get down again safely.

Spokey Dokey likes this.
  9. oldfatfool

oldfatfool Regular Member

Frequently found myself in a position going up were I have thought I hope to god I can find an easier route down, I really dislike anything but a gentle slope downhill, uphill near vertical is fine.

Spokey Dokey likes this.
  10. Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig Regular Member

Found myself half way up Avon gorge running out of time/wanting to go back for dinner. We absailed off a small tree/shrub! I was a bit lighter back then!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice