Has any book inspired you to visit/walk/travel?

Discussion in 'The Bothy (off topic)' started by Hill Wimp, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Regular Member

Inspired by another post and a realisation that reading is not only a huge part of my life but it's also inspires my travels. The same can be said of looking at maps too.

So what books, fact or fiction have inspired you to travel, why and where too?

Here are just some of mine with a couple still to be read but I just know they are going to inspire me to get out there.

20171209_141156.jpg

2. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

This is my favourite, a real inspiration - it's such a work of art and so beautifully drawn and narrated.

md9857029865.jpg

pennine-way-page-june-16-2009.jpg

I'm also a fan of Jonathan Raban - this book is about his trip sailing round the coast of Britain. He's such a keen observer of people....

Coasting.jpg

Hill Wimp likes this.
  3. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

The Wainwright books of the Lake District were what gave me and the OH I had at the time the confidence to go into the hills on our own (with maps as well, but we found it a great help at first having the pictorial views).

Rocky and Hill Wimp like this.
  4. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

This book is pretty inspiring - I dare anyone to read it and not have a yearning to camp out in the wilderness. He's a great writer as would be expected from a Cambridge English don but he's also got a great sense of humour and you know he's an explorer too.

1847080189.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice