1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Aid Kit, do you carry one when you go walking?

Discussion in 'Gear, Equipment and Clothing' started by TVC, Oct 27, 2017.

1. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

I always carry a first aid kit in my back pack, just a small one from Boots. It has sterile wipes, gloves, various plasters, small dressings and a bandage. I added a couple of viles of sterile water for eye or wound flushing and a tube of anticeptic cream. I also always have a foil blanket with me, that would probably be the most useful thing.

Fortunately I have never had to break out the supplies, but you never know when you might take a tumble or come across somebody else who is having a bad day.

odav, Summerdays and Gravity Aided like this.
  2. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

That, and learn your DRSABC

3. OP
    OP
    TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

Absolutely, having basic first aid training is just polite in my view. My meagre first aid kit will help with cuts and scrapes, but having a cool head to assess, reassure and protect somebody whilst ensuring that professional help is on its way is possibly more useful.

Gravity Aided and Andy_R like this.
  4. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

The only time I've needed anything other than blister repair stuff, my friend slipped and dislocated her shoulder. A thin square cotton scarf I happened to have with me did sterling duty as a triangular bandage to make a sling. Always have a survival bag with me as well.

TVC likes this.
  5. Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided New Member

I always carry first aid with me, I saw a regular outing by others turn into a full blown emergency due to the lack of one, in my uni days. Had to pack a casualty out in rugged country. Good thing the guy they sent back for help knew where to find some burly rustics.

6. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Yep, Mrs R always insist on a first aid kit. Me, I take a few plasters, some blister plasters and a little bottle of iodine together with my trusty Swiss Army knife.

Gravity Aided likes this.
  7. Tribble

Tribble Regular Member

DRSABC - What's that?

8. Andy_R

Ah, sorry, shouldn't use jargon. DRSABC stands for:

Danger: What caused the incident? Is it likely to re-occur? Will you be put at risk?
    Response: Does the casualty respond to stimulus - "Hello, can you hear me?". Louder. Shoulder push.
    Shout: Call for help. Get bypassers to help.
    Airway: Maintain the airway - chin lift if possible
    Breathing: Are they breathing?
    Circulation: Will you need to perform CPR?

There's a great little video from St John's Ambulance about it on YouTube

Rocky, Gravity Aided and Tribble like this.
  9. Tribble

Tribble Regular Member

Thanks Andy. I wasn't sure, but it's the sort of things that if you know them could help to save someone's life. I did a St. John's Ambulance basic course a few years ago through work and found it really interesting, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded now and then. Good video link too. We had it shortened to ABC on our course I think, the airway, breathing, circulation rings a bell.

10. Andy_R

As mentioned in the video, the emphasis on D (Danger) is to prevent 1 casualty becoming 2, and it was felt that this is possibly more important than delivering first aid.

11. Spinney

Is this a Vinnie Jones cue?

(sort of on-topic!)

12. Andy_R

Bit of a bone of contention, that one. If the casualty had breathing issues before collapsing, or was a victim of drowning, then they won't have enough oxygenated blood. Yes, it would work on someone who collapsed due to a heart issue, and yes, the untrained are more likely to give it a go, but the best way is to learn CPR and use the method taught.

13. Spinney

I stand corrected.

I still like the 'here's one I prepared earlier' bit! ;)

14. Salad Dodger

Salad Dodger New Member

About 10 years ago (blimey, that's a sobering thought) I stopped being a kayaking instructor. I always carried a first aid kit when on the water, and always had a decent kit in my car. Now I carry a reasonable kit in my rucksack at all times.

Funnily enough, I can't recall ever having to use any of my gear to treat a canoeist. I once had to help a lady on a motorboat who had got a bad friction burn from a mooring rope, and once had to assist a youth who knocked himself out trying to jump into the river.

TVC likes this.
  15. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

Standard first aid kit plus airway, haemeostatic bandage, pulseoximeter, professional locking tourniquet, and a few other nick nacks.