Fell walking - is it just another word for mountain walking?


New Member
It's something I've only heard used with reference to the UK but does the expression "Fell walking" just refer to any sort of walking in mountainous parts of the UK or is it something different or more specific?


Regular Member
Pretty much, yes. A fell is a high, flat and often barren landscape feature such as a mountain range or moor-covered hill. It's often employed in Northern England and Scotland, but also on the Isle of Man and as far away as Fennoscandia (perhaps where it originated?).

The Northern Fells in the Lake District are a good example, occupying a circular area of about 10 miles in diameter that range from low hills to the highest ground in England. The area is surrounded by roads but none of them traverse it, making it somewhat of a walker's paradise.



To me, fell walking has a slightly gentler image. But that might just be me.
Nope, same here. I wouldn't classify the "Fells" as mountain walks either because whilst they have some high points, they are easy to get to and walking the fells doesn't include any steep inclines or scrambling (using hands and feet to "climb" up and over particularly steep or rocky areas).

It is satisfying though when you reach one of the peaks and look down and around you to see just how far you've come up (in terms of elevation).

Scafell Pike is a popular one and is part of the Three Peaks Challenge: Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike, and Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa)


New Member
Thanks. That helps. At least I know what people are referring to now when they mention fells.


Of dubious origin....
Staff member
Isn't it just another way of saying "clumsy"? as in:

"What happened to you?"
"Fell walking"

I'll get my coat....TAXI!
Top Bottom