Fell walking - is it just another word for mountain walking?

Discussion in 'Hill and Mountain Walking' started by LeeDonny, Oct 20, 2017.

1. LeeDonny

LeeDonny New Member

It's something I've only heard used with reference to the UK but does the expression "Fell walking" just refer to any sort of walking in mountainous parts of the UK or is it something different or more specific?

2. Podali

Podali Regular Member

Pretty much, yes. A fell is a high, flat and often barren landscape feature such as a mountain range or moor-covered hill. It's often employed in Northern England and Scotland, but also on the Isle of Man and as far away as Fennoscandia (perhaps where it originated?).

The Northern Fells in the Lake District are a good example, occupying a circular area of about 10 miles in diameter that range from low hills to the highest ground in England. The area is surrounded by roads but none of them traverse it, making it somewhat of a walker's paradise.

Regards
    Pod

LeeDonny likes this.
  3. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

I'd have said 'mountain walking' might be more likely to include scrambling. To me, fell walking has a slightly gentler image.
    But that might just be me.

Podali and LeeDonny like this.
  4. Macron

Macron Member

Nope, same here. I wouldn't classify the "Fells" as mountain walks either because whilst they have some high points, they are easy to get to and walking the fells doesn't include any steep inclines or scrambling (using hands and feet to "climb" up and over particularly steep or rocky areas).

It is satisfying though when you reach one of the peaks and look down and around you to see just how far you've come up (in terms of elevation).

Scafell Pike is a popular one and is part of the Three Peaks Challenge: Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike, and Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa)

LeeDonny likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    LeeDonny

LeeDonny New Member

Thanks. That helps. At least I know what people are referring to now when they mention fells.

6. oldfatfool

oldfatfool Regular Member

I would describe it as the British equivalent of alpine meadow walking.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Alpine meadow walking sounds lovely. Are you from America?

8. oldfatfool

oldfatfool Regular Member

No, gods own Yorkshire. :becool:

9. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

Isn't it just another way of saying "clumsy"? as in:

"What happened to you?"
    "Fell walking"

I'll get my coat....TAXI!

raleighnut, Tribble, Phoenix and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice