Favourite Pubs on walks

Steve

This may be one for the Bothy, if so then @Moderators please feel free to move..

Some people like to take refreshment at cafes and some pubs, I'm more of a pub fan, a refreshing pint and a steak and ale pie and I'm a happy bunny. So as the title suggests, what are your favourite pubs on your travels?

A couple for starters from me, both quite close together in the Peak District:

- The Devonshire Arms in Hartington, good beer, decent food and dog friendly with an open fire

- The Royal Oak in Wetton, as above, good beer (has quite a good selection that changes often), home made food, dog friendly and has an open fire for those cold winter days. Also the landlord is very friendly and takes time to chat, recommend places and other pubs/cafes/attractions to visit

Rocky

Regular
Staff member
I rather like this one on the Pennine Way....if you are walking from Keld to Bowes this comes at just the right time for an early lunch. I've known walkers spend too much time in here and get lost on Sleightholme Moor.....so there's a warning :smile:

oaNI94GvQG+ener5ebipXQ_thumb_1d79.jpg

Lakeslover

The Black Bull Inn and Hotel (Coniston, Lake District) Britannia Inn (Elterwater, Lake District) The Bridges (Ratlinghope, Shropshire) and Wasdale Inn (Wasdale, Lake District) would probably be my 4 top pubs for a pint after/during a walk.

TVC

Staff member
We regulatly do a 10 mile circular route through north west Leicestershire, taking in Bradgate Park and Beacon Hill. Half way round is The Wheatsheaf http://wheatsheafinn.net they so a dish they call "The Woodhouse Smokey" which is an ovrn baked pot of smoked haddock in a cream and cheese sauce with tomatoes, served with crusty bread. We do the walk just to have the Smokey.

Andy_R

Of dubious origin....
Staff member
I rather like this one on the Pennine Way....if you are walking from Keld to Bowes this comes at just the right time for an early lunch. I've known walkers spend too much time in here and get lost on Sleightholme Moor.....so there's a warning :smile:

View attachment 257
It also gets snowed in quite a lot - 50 times since 2005!

Smeggers II

The Quiet Woman, Earl Sterndale. You wont forget it....

c932babd3b0208c40fc1e6e9a9a94ca1.jpg

Top Bottom