1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency Kit - What do you take when out walking / hiking?

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Grayson, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Grayson

Grayson Regular Member

What do you carry in your rucksacks just in case an emergency arises such as bad weather, accidents, etc.?

2. Podali

Podali Member

Nothing really, but then I don't tend to go on exceptionally long walks and stick to well marked, popular trails so there are usually other people around or passing nearby. I have a whistle in case I need to raise the alarm, but I've never had to use it.

3. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

Whistle, torch, small first aid kit, bivvy bag. If I'm with a group, I'll take a group shelter instead of a bivvy bag.

raleighnut, classic33 and Shaun like this.
  4. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

Whistle, torch, foil blanket, first aid kit, water and chocolate bars.

5. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

You didn't tell me about the chocolate bars :eek:

raleighnut and Spinney like this.
  6. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

:whistle:

raleighnut likes this.
  7. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

All of the above plus a Swiss Army knife

8. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

Very comprehensive first aid kit, including pulse-oximeter etc, waterproof emergency bivfy, food, at least 3 litres water, phone, VHF radio, touch, whistle, heliograph, maps, compass, all the shizzle.

9. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

You forgot the hip flask

raleighnut and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  10. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

Yup...got to have somewhere to put the shizzle...

11. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Is that for SAR outings, or all the time?
    Even in summer in the lowlands?
    (It's not a silly question - my OH has a heavy rucksac with a lot spare clothing and various other stuff in, that he just carries out of routine for most walks).

Drago II - the sequel likes this.
  12. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

For SAR, but also for anywhere more than a couple of miles from the nearest house. It only takes a bad fall to break an ankle, or in my case hyper-extend a knee, and suddenly one is left to rely on oneself to contact assistance, and stay alive and comfortable.

Being in lowland England won't count for much when the cold rain starts, your core temperature drops and you've got no shelter... We recover plenty of people from relatively benign looking landscapes near death with hypothermia.

The whole lot bagged up in my bergen weighs about 5kg. Sounds a lot, but I weigh 116kg myself so its a tiny load for me, plus the bergen spreads the load amount multiple contact points very nicely indeed. All day use without fatigue is no problem.

13. fimm

fimm New Member

Bivvy bag with foil lining. Small first aid kit (including crepe bandage, wound dressing, plasters, safety pins, that sort of thing) plus assorted oddments such as a cable tie, a bit of duck tape, a small Swiss army knife and spare headtorch and batteries. Whistle.
    Bad weather isn't an emergency, it is to be expected. I'd never head into the hills without full waterproofs and at minimum hat, gloves and a buff, plus at least one warm layer that I don't expect to wear. (We're talking Scottish highlands here. I might run into the Pentlands with less than that, though Drago's point about even apparently benign landscapes having dangers in combination with British weather is one I agree with.)

Spinney, TVC, Rocky and 1 other person like this.
  14. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Regular Member

Spare compass, small first aid kit, painkillers, whistle, spare (lithium) batteries for basic GPS unit, glasses in case something happens to my contacts.

I always have a lightweight shell with me, fleece hat & gloves, waterproof shell mitts and a suitable fleece top in the colder months - I run pretty hot and rarely wear a fleece unless it is very cold and/or windy.

Can't bear waterproof trousers - I wear a pair of DWR treated climbing salopettes when scrambling or DWR treated fleece trousers the rest of the time.

If it doesn't fit into an ultra-lightweight rucksack (20L) it's not coming with me.

When I first headed into the mountains 45 years ago I took everything bar the kitchen sink - candles, matches, bivi bag, spare laces, emergency chocolate etc. Big rucksack to carry it all that weighed a ton fully loaded.

Gradually whittled it down to what I consider the bare minimum.

Spinney likes this.
  15. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

I've heard it said that if you take enough kit for any eventuality, the weight will guarantee you need to use some of it.