Dyffryn to Shell Island Beach and Dunes Walk

Discussion in 'Wales' started by Lakeslover, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Lakeslover

Lakeslover Regular Member

I am up at our caravan for the last trip of the year and embarked on a walk of a different kind to those I’m used to, along the Beach and back through Dunes and a Nature Reserve.

Headed out from the caravan site and onto Dyffryn Beach, with glorious sunshine and a keen Northerly Wind, which I was walking into for the first half of the Walk.

I’ve had a cold all week and so the fresh sea air was very welcome as I ploughed into the wind. The Beach was almost deserted and blissful with views up to the Llyn Peninsular.
    CB1EF49C-C300-45A9-A12F-1F476AD72325.jpeg 90F013EC-8648-46FE-ABDA-E0A90F500C61.jpeg
    I saw 2 jellyfish, but no Portuguese Man O War who have been making an appearance on this coastline for a number of weeks recently.
    ABAB24F7-5B59-46D2-949C-954466AE9A5D.jpeg 7BB5F3FD-E0DA-4041-9E7A-8376FCEF0BAA.jpeg
    I went up the beach as far as Shell Island, just over 3 miles, where the sand ends and it turns to rock and shale. I paused for my lunch, sat on a rock, enjoying the peaceful sound of the waves crashing against the rocks.

I then climbed into the dunes and onto Shell Island itself, no one camping now but in the Summer it is one of Europe’s largest camping areas. I wasn’t entirely sure which way to go here and so followed my nose a bit and eventually ended up where I wanted to be, amongst the dunes in the Morfa Dyffryn Nature Reserve.
    CDE8FEBE-891D-4D1E-A984-AD47515BBDA2.jpeg
    I was sheltered from the wind here and so had to take a layer off for the up and down sections in the Dunes. It was a mixture of sheep tracks and long reedy grass for a bit and then some more established dune paths towards the edge of the Llanbedr Airfield. I passed an MOD Official Secrets Act sign for No Photography along here!

Arrived back at the campsite having thoroughly enjoyed the 7.1 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Rickshaw Phil and Spinney like this.
  2. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Thank you for posting!! Lovely pictures - great jelly fish :smile:

Lakeslover likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice