1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog Jog

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Drago II - the sequel, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

I'm planning to enter a couple of next years Dog Jog events. Non competitive, but they look like fun and my Lab, Lemmy, would love it. I run with him already to keep fit, so wouldn't need to train especially.

Anyone here done a dog jog before? Anyone here go running with their dog.

2. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Not me, we don’t have a dog, but it sounds fun!! Go for it. I’m sure Lemmy will love it.

Drago II - the sequel likes this.
  3. Steve

Steve Member

Drago II - the sequel likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

I've seen that CaniX before. How do you get on running with the mutt attached to the belt? I've tried it and didn't get on, so went back to holding his lead in my hand, which works well, although he doesn't tow me along like that

5. Reiver

Reiver Active Member

I always think running with it on a lead must spoil it for the dog, they like to stop and explore all the smells on route. I used to spend a lot of time walking alongside the river with ours, he would often fall quarter of a mile behind when doing his own exploring then have to run to catch me up. If I was forcing him to run on a lead he would be missing all the good doggy stuff.

6. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

I used to run with my Lab, up to 20 miles a week but he developed a flat foot a few years ago, which doesn't seem to bother him normally but the rhythmic nature of running seemed to, so he retired. He's nearly 10 now, so retirement was imminent anyhow.

Build them up, if they lag on the day, cut the run short, don't run if it's hot, mine did most in the winter and you may have to feed him more. If they pick up an injury, make sure you give it lots of time to heal and then build up again. He didn't run on the lead but to heel, with the occasional stop for a sniff and then belt back to me. As I used to run trails and beach and parks, he was extremely useful at keeping other dogs away, as they ran to him not me. I only got bowled over once when another dog ran into me on a narrow trail.

We also used to mtn bike. A flat out Lab tops out about 30!

He used to love it. He knew the routine of me getting ready for running so was already blocking the doorway to make sure he didn't get left behind.

Steve likes this.
  7. Steve

Steve Member

On a lead unless we are away near the seaside, love running on the beach with the dog. He's good on the lead, just paces me.

8. The GM

The GM Member

I wish I could run with our dog, but our little whippet can do 30mph +. I think Usain Bolt might just about manage to do it. :smile:

Rocky likes this.