Does the weather ever put you off?

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Slowandsteady, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Regular Member

As the title suggests, have you ever changed your plans because of the weather forecast, or do you still go ahead and see what develops?

2. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

If we've got a trip to the Lakes planned or similar that involves ajourney, then we'll make the journey and then decide. Conditions can be so changeable too, that we've often started the walk and then decided to back-track rather than continue.

976082_10201339389306499_1945331410_o.jpg

This is Red Tarn on Helvellyn. The cloud base had progressivley lowered during our walk, and were pretty sure we'd have to retreat. If you tilt your head, and kind of squint you still can't see the peak. We decided at this point that there wasn't a cat in hell's chance that we were going to continue up Swirral Edge so headed back down to Glenridding. The mountains will still be there another day.

Phoenix likes this.
  3. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

Only Cloud/fog will stop me setting out on a walk, there is no point if there is no view. Strong wind might keep me away from exposure and edges but not stop a trip. Rain, meh, who cares.

4. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Rain - I don't like it.

On very wet days with an uncertain forecast we have been known to set off anyway, with the understanding that if it hasn't eased off by, say, 11 am, we turn back. On several occasions it has turned out to be a nice day, so we were really glad we'd braved the initial downpour.

On the other hand, a few months ago we set off to go up Fairfield via St Sunday Crag. The rain had almost stopped by the time we got to the top of St Sunday, but it was very windy, and we'd been in the cloud since half way up. We decided that ticking one top was enough, and headed back down to the cafe.

Moral of the story - I usually feel better about a horrid day if we have at least tried. I feel really fed up on wet days when we've decided not to go, and then it turns into a nice afternoon!

5. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Driving rain, driving cold rain - not my favourite. Sometimes its best just to bail out. Mind you that’s not always possible when you are mid-way through a trek and have a BnB to get to in the evening.

Spinney likes this.
  6. Lakeslover

Lakeslover Regular Member

I’m much more prepared to go out on a walk in the bad weather (wind, rain or snow) than I am on a bike. Find it much easier to wrap up properly in lots of layers, than I do on a bike where I tend to overheat and find it much less dangerous when walking, than on the bike.

Rickshaw Phil and Spinney like this.
  7. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

Hot sun does me in.

8. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

Yes. One foggy peak looks much like another and I've been on too many foggy peaks over the years so I try to avoid ending up on another foggy peak, especially if it's going to be a wet foggy peak.

Strolling Guy and Phoenix like this.
  9. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

You don't like being on peaks?
    :blink:

;)

Phoenix likes this.
  10. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

I enjoy the ascent, my knees don't like the descent any more and if the weather is bad I don't hang around on the tops eating my sandwiches huddled behind a boulder with everyone else who's walked up the mountain.

I don't like being on top of Snowdon in any circumstances! It's quieter in London city centre.

Rickshaw Phil, Rocky and Spinney like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice