Do you think campsites would have a problem with you sleeping in your car?

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Phoenix, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Next year I'd like to travel a bit further afield and try some new locations, but it would mean staying out overnight and rather than go to all the hassle of buying and pitching a tent for a few hours sleep, do you think it would be okay to sleep in my car at the campsite?

2. classic33

classic33 Regular Member

If you're planning on sleeping in your car, forget campsites. As a camp warden for nearly 15 years, it was one thing that was never allowed on site. Even DofE examainers weren't allowed to sleep overnight in their cars if expecting people in during the night.

I've helped people pitch their tents when they arrived later than planned. If raing making certain they'd their equipment was under storage whilst doing so. Sometime allowing them access to campsite facilities that shouldn't have been used by them.

Drago II - the sequel likes this.
  3. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

Whereabouts were you a warden?

4. classic33

classic33 Regular Member

Local scout campsite. Council have a strict no sleeping in vehicles on their campsites.

5. Shaun

Shaun Active Member Staff Member

Scout campsite? So it wasn't a campsite open to the public? The OP isn't asking about scout campsites though so I don't see the relevance.

To the OP - the best way to check is to call beforehand and ask. I don't expect any sizeable campsite would allow it, so you might need to consider a small tent you can quickly and easily pitch and a sleeping bag (it shouldn't add too much bulk to your packing). Smaller sites may be more relaxed about it, especially if you are happy to pay for a pitch, but check first.

Phoenix likes this.
  6. Cartable

Cartable Regular Member Staff Member

Unless you've got an estate car you might find you'll actually get a better night's sleep in a tent than in your car. Especially if you've done several hours driving to get to the site. The last thing you want to be is tired out and stiff as a board the next morning if you're going on a long or challenging walk.

Besides, modern tents aren't too bad to pitch; some of them literally "pop" up. You can be bedded-down, all stretched out and comfy, in no time.

If you do end up going down the tent route, have a few practice runs at home to familiarise yourself with it, because you might find that light is fading or it's dark when you arrive and knowing what goes where will come in handy. :smile:

Phoenix, Shaun and classic33 like this.
  7. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

Something else to consider, especially with Vango tents is, where possible, leave the inner tent attached when you pack the tent away. That way you won't need to reattach it when pitching next time, as that can be a mare in the dark!

Our local Scout camp (Moorhouse) allows you to sleep in whatever, wherever, as long as you pay your £3 per night....I've even slept there in a cardboard box (we were fundraising for Shelter)

Shaun, Phoenix and Spinney like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Thanks. My main concern was the expense - for what will probably only be a few nights away - and arriving late in the evening, after dark, and having to put up a tent without much light.

I'll ask about a tent and sleeping bag in the other section.

Shaun likes this.
  9. Podali

Podali Regular Member

Ah, I see where the request for tents and sleeping bags has come from now. Should have read this one first.

You may find that some of the small sites, in particular those attached to farms, may be more accommodating of your request to sleep in your car, and if it is only going to be for a few weekends it may well save you the expense of a tent and sleeping bags.

Perhaps try to find a site nearer to home that will allow you to sleep in your car and try it. If you feel okay in the morning, plan for places that will let you sleep in the car. If you don't feel very good, stiff or tired the next day, start shopping for a tent and sleeping bags.

Phoenix and Shaun like this.
  10. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

There's nothing stopping you trying to sleep in your car on your drive (assuming you have a drive). I might be more relucant to try it if you normally park on the street, although I have dug out my sleeping bag in a motorway services car park when I was on the way home from an overseas trekking trip and too tired to be safe behind the wheel.

Phoenix and Shaun like this.
  11. Tribble

Tribble Regular Member

Having spent a few nights sleeping in a car I wouldn't recommend it. You can't stretch out so you end up with an aching back and legs. Maybe have a look on ebay if you are on a tight budget or just want something for a few days use. There should be plenty of tents on there. :smile:

Phoenix likes this.
  12. oldfatfool

oldfatfool Regular Member

Tried sleeping in an mx5 once in a French services, not reccomended.

Phoenix likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Maybe sleeping in the car isn't such a good idea. Thanks for the advice, and yes, I will have a look on ebay and see if there are any cheap tents. I don't really like the idea of a second-hand sleeping bag though, so will look for a couple of cheap ones in the sales.

Thank you, very helpful. :smile:

14. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

My cousin booked a spot on a campsite in Devon at the start of September. He spent half of the first night in the tent but then there was a terrible thunderstorm which flooded his pitch. He dived into his car and slept in that. He said it was quite comfortable with the seats folded down. His kit didn't really dry out properly so he stuck to sleeping in the car and the site owner didn't seem to mind.

Phoenix, Rickshaw Phil and Rocky like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice