Do you focus on distance or time when out walking?

Macron

We all walk at a different natural pace, so do you focus on the amount of time you are going to be out walking and aim for a certain number of hours, or do you plan with a specific distance in mind and look to complete it regardless of how long it takes?

Spinney

Staff member
Both, and factor in the weather, daylight hours, the conditions underfoot etc.

e.g. :
- walking from home (which is mainly across fields and through woods) - I generally plan on half a day, as the scenery isn't that fascinating. Then I plan a route that will take me around half a day.
- a day in the Lakes/Snowdonia in summer - pick a summit or ridge I haven't done for a while, work out a nice circular route, measure the length and see if this sounds feasible given my current hill fitness (for example, I could do 20 miles over the hills, but I'd be getting down in the dark, and the last 5 or more miles would not be fun).
- a day in the hills in winter - check timing so that the only bit (if any) to be done in the dark is easier ground at lowish level/track/road walking, or is on a route I know well

Glyder

Time. At some point I started to be able to look at a walk and know how long it would take me. Until very recently when I got a GPS watch, I only had a rough idea of distance, so I would normally plan a walk based around travel time to and from my start point as most of my walks are day walks. So 5 to 7hrs which turns out to be around 10 miles, leaving enough time to go to the pub after (for a meal of course).

Spinney

Staff member
Time. At some point I started to be able to look at a walk and know how long it would take me. Until very recently when I got a GPS watch, I only had a rough idea of distance, so I would normally plan a walk based around travel time to and from my start point as most of my walks are day walks. So 5 to 7hrs which turns out to be around 10 miles, leaving enough time to go to the pub after (for a meal of course).
:cheers:

oldfatfool

I tend to look at a map and pick what looks like an interesting route and guesstimate that I will acheive it in daylight/ a given time. At the start of the 'season' this can lead to some later finnishes as i tend not to compensate for fitness or increase in age.

Hill Wimp

I tend to look at a map and pick what looks like an interesting route and guesstimate that I will acheive it in daylight/ a given time. At the start of the 'season' this can lead to some later finnishes as i tend not to compensate for fitness or increase in age.
Or indeed the rather good hostelery you may find.

LonesomeWanderer

When I used to walk in New Zealand the signs always had either distance or time on them but rarely both - if they had both then it would have been an indication of how hard the terrain was going to be.

This year I'm trying to do the #walk1000miles thing so distance is the focus....

Spinney

Staff member
When I used to walk in New Zealand the signs always had either distance or time on them but rarely both - if they had both then it would have been an indication of how hard the terrain was going to be.

This year I'm trying to do the #walk1000miles thing so distance is the focus....
:eek:
This year I'll be lucky to get 1500 miles on the bike, and racking up cycling miles is far easier than walking miles!
:notworthy:

Top Bottom