Do you ever walk the same route twice or more?

Slowandsteady

I have done a few of the long distance trails in the UK. I have a few of the walks twice, first one way and then, later the other way. For me, the second time tends to be more enjoyable than the first. Have you hiked the same routes twice or more before?

TVC

Staff member
There are a couple of routes in the Peak District that we repeat. The good thing about knowing the route is that I can tuck the map away and anticipate what is coming whilst fully enjoying the views. I find I always notice more on the second or third visit, I suppose it's just building up layers of detail.

Spinney

Staff member
Day walks in the Lake District - yes, loads of times!
Long distance walks (as in multi-day walks) - no, have never felt the inclination to repeat one. Parts of one, maybe, but not the whole thing. Most of them have some tedious bits in them.

Andy_R

Of dubious origin....
Staff member
Day walks - Yes, yes, and again yes. My favourites are Gunnerside Gill in Swaledale, Pavey Ark and the Langdale Pikes, Loughrigg Fell (fantastic for young walkers - they get such a sense of achievement and great views), Roseberry Topping and Captain Cook's monument, and the Wainstones on the Cleveland Way. For me, it's the anticipation of the views you're going to get. I love the walk up to Angle Tarn on High Street too, as this has vivid memories for me and MrsR of being chased off the fell by lightning and thunderstorms! (We took about 2 hours to stroll up to Angle Tarn from Glenridding, and less than an hour to retreat from the storm!)

raleighnut

A favourite of mine is Lathkill Dale, there's a campsite in roughly the middle at Haddon Grove with a path out the back that drops down into the Dale so you can walk to Monyash (Bulls Head) one way and then circle back or walk the other way along the Dale and there is a road up to Over Haddon and the Lathkill Hotel,

Top Bottom