1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever walk the same route twice or more?

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Slowandsteady, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Regular Member

I have done a few of the long distance trails in the UK. I have a few of the walks twice, first one way and then, later the other way. For me, the second time tends to be more enjoyable than the first. Have you hiked the same routes twice or more before?

2. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

There are a couple of routes in the Peak District that we repeat. The good thing about knowing the route is that I can tuck the map away and anticipate what is coming whilst fully enjoying the views. I find I always notice more on the second or third visit, I suppose it's just building up layers of detail.

raleighnut, Steve and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  3. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Day walks in the Lake District - yes, loads of times!
    Long distance walks (as in multi-day walks) - no, have never felt the inclination to repeat one. Parts of one, maybe, but not the whole thing. Most of them have some tedious bits in them.

Rickshaw Phil and TVC like this.
  4. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Yes!! Lots of times. I've walked the Pennine Way six times (always south to north) and the South Downs Way probably 10 times over the years (including five SDW 80 mile races).

5. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

Day walks - Yes, yes, and again yes. My favourites are Gunnerside Gill in Swaledale, Pavey Ark and the Langdale Pikes, Loughrigg Fell (fantastic for young walkers - they get such a sense of achievement and great views), Roseberry Topping and Captain Cook's monument, and the Wainstones on the Cleveland Way. For me, it's the anticipation of the views you're going to get. I love the walk up to Angle Tarn on High Street too, as this has vivid memories for me and MrsR of being chased off the fell by lightning and thunderstorms! (We took about 2 hours to stroll up to Angle Tarn from Glenridding, and less than an hour to retreat from the storm!)

6. Steve

Steve Member

As with @TVC above, there are a lot of walks in the Peak District I do regularly e.g Froggatt's Edge, Dovedale, Monsal Head etc.

raleighnut, TVC and Rocky like this.
  7. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Regular Member

All the time - lot's of walks are too lovely not to repeat.

Also I repeat Glenridding > Greenside Mines > Swirral Edge > Helvellyn > Striding Edge > Greenside Mines > Glenridding on a regular basis as a fitness/fatness test. :smile:

At 'good steady' speed I am happy with 4-4.25 hours.

8. raleighnut

raleighnut Regular Member

A favourite of mine is Lathkill Dale, there's a campsite in roughly the middle at Haddon Grove with a path out the back that drops down into the Dale so you can walk to Monyash (Bulls Head) one way and then circle back or walk the other way along the Dale and there is a road up to Over Haddon and the Lathkill Hotel,

[​IMG]

Steve and Rocky like this.