Desperate for a pee with no trees or bushes to hide behind

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Harriet, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Harriet

Harriet New Member

Probably a silly question, and not something I've had to deal with yet, but how do you manage going for a pee when there are no landscape features to hide behind.

I realise the chaps can just turn around, point and be done, but what about ladies, how do you preserve your modesty when you are desperate for a pee out in the wilderness. Do you just ask everyone to turn around and look the other way until you are done?

odav likes this.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

Actually, yes, pretty much. Ask the rest of the party to turn around, walk away to put a bit of distance between you, quick drop, tinkle, and then shout up to say you are done.

Top tip: If the wind is blowing hard make sure you face into it so as not to soak your pants. DAHIKT. ;)

3. s7eph

s7eph Member

when you gotta go you gotta go ! sit on ground wiggle out of pants and hope nobody notices x

odav, Phoenix and Lullabelle like this.
  4. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

That sounds about right.

Phoenix likes this.
  5. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

I was on a winter walking course, and the instructor advised the male members that when adopting their standing up staring into the distance pose while relieving themselves, they should stand side-on to the wind. Apparently the vortices created by the wind flowing around the body can cause the liquid emanations to fall in unexpected places if standing with the back to the wind.

Reiver, odav, Summerdays and 2 others like this.
  6. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

Or you could just bottle it and take it with you next time you plan on going walking with Bear Grylls.....

odav likes this.
  7. Spinney

I'm not sure what you're referring to, never having watched the chap.
    But I can guess.
    xx(

odav, Summerdays and classic33 like this.
  8. classic33

classic33 Member

Carrying it out is an option at present. Just make sure you have a leak proof container.

9. Spinney

Why would you carry it out in the UK? You have sheep peeing over most of the hills, a bit of human wee isn't going to harm anything.

10. classic33

classic33 Member

Would depend on where you go. The nitrogen content can be high, too high for most plants. Its possible to see in some places where overuse has occurred, as a general background feature. Very little will grow, so wildlife moves on.

Do we have the right to contaminate the land that someone else relies on is another question. Even sheep will use/choose one area. We, as a species, have evolved into the fastest means of spreading disease worldwide.

http://www.adventures.org.uk/filestore/Disposing of human waste in the mountains.docx

Did a two day trip, in the UK, where nothing was left behind. We knew that before we went. Currently there is no need to "pack it out", but does no need mean we have the right to just get rid of our waste where we want?

11. Andy_R

Interesting. There is some debate regarding nitrogen use, especially regarding what is known as the "nitrogen loop", whereby we import nitrogen into the environment (chemical fertilisers etc) and export it (flushing of huge volume of human urine through watercourses). By using human urine as a fertiser we work towards closing the nitrogen loop, much in the same way that we are tying to become carbon neutral. Human urine, after all, contains effectively the same propotion of nitrogen to pottasium and phosphurus as a standard fertiliser.

Sheep , by the way, do what they need to do wherever they are. They do not use one area. This is first hand information, gained from growing up on a farm in Northumberland. Anyone who has walked across a field that's had sheep in will know this.

12. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

Didn't our ancestors 'go' outside before flushing loos were invented?

13. classic33

classic33 Member

The operatative word there being in fields, out of their natural enviroment. Any animal will be reluctant to eat what it has just "dropped it's load on". A group of people, using the same area will soon damage that area. Watercourses are supposed to be fenced off in fields, as part of what was REPS.

Human urine make an effective weedkiller, when used neat. Water it down and you get a decent fertilizer from a waste product. Nitrogen content being higher than that of normal farm fertilizers.

"Carry Out" could be a subject by itself.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  14. Slowandsteady

Slowandsteady Regular Member

Don't think I've ever seen "wild" sheep, what with them being domesticated animals that live in fields, but by the by....You mentioned "sheep will use/choose one area" - I've never seen that. They do their doings where they are, quite often eating whilst doing.....they're not bright enough to worry about food hygene :smile:, and as for urine making good weedkiller...well I've used it in the allotment to grow some spectacular root veg over the years - I was given advice to use it by a champion leek (no pun intended) grower.

15. Andy_R

"Champion leek grower" in a thread about urine. Today's winner of the internet is @Slowandsteady :laugh:

odav, Summerdays, raleighnut and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice