Cooking Gear

What is your favorite cooking gear, including stoves, pots, and recipes, for your forays into the wilds?
I personally favor the Trangia in most situations, but also have a liking for the Primus, as well as a little folding twig stove.

Andy_R

Of dubious origin....
Staff member
It all depends...I love cooking over an open fire or on a swedish torch, but it isn't always practical (or allowed TBH) . Over the years I've made countless "penny stoves" to use with meths and "hobo stoves" to use with twigs and small sticks. They're good fun for a brew up. When it comes to sheer practicality, you can't beat a trangia, though I have been know to chuck a folding Vango stove in my pack just to make life easier...

Rocky

Regular
Staff member
I tend to travel light and swear by my MSR pocket rocket stove. Obviously it's no good for cooking a three course meal but it does boil the kettle and heat up a tin of beans and sausages.

raleighnut

Still using my Epigas 'Alpine' stove, over 30yrs service now, fantastic stove.

I tend to travel light and swear by my MSR pocket rocket stove. Obviously it's no good for cooking a three course meal but it does boil the kettle and heat up a tin of beans and sausages.
Here's a tip I picked up for cooking a meal on a single burner, if you bring a pan of rice/pasta to the boil you can remove it from the heat and place it on a newspaper where it will continue to cook you can then prepare the sauce in another pan.

Reiver

Here's a tip I picked up for cooking a meal on a single burner, if you bring a pan of rice/pasta to the boil you can remove it from the heat and place it on a newspaper where it will continue to cook you can then prepare the sauce in another pan.
and don't waste that hot water from the pasta, pour it into a cup with a tea bag - if you don't enjoy tea made with cheesey pasta water than you have not had a big enough day.

hold on - you've taken a newspaper with you ?

raleighnut

and don't waste that hot water from the pasta, pour it into a cup with a tea bag - if you don't enjoy tea made with cheesey pasta water than you have not had a big enough day.

hold on - you've taken a newspaper with you ?
It's lighter than the telly, seriously though I'd regard a newspaper as an essential, what else has so many potential uses from stuffing in boots overnight to dry em to 'emergency loo roll'.

Mind you the old size Grauniad was better, in the days before 'roll mats' were common it was a great insulator from 'ground chill' and the bigger sheets resisted slipping about better.

OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

I made a little envelope out of that aluminum faced plastic bubble wrap insulation stuff. Keeps hot things hot, and cool things cool.

Top Bottom