Cooking Gear

Discussion in 'Gear, Equipment and Clothing' started by Gravity Aided, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided New Member

What is your favorite cooking gear, including stoves, pots, and recipes, for your forays into the wilds?
    I personally favor the Trangia in most situations, but also have a liking for the Primus, as well as a little folding twig stove.

2. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

It all depends...I love cooking over an open fire or on a swedish torch, but it isn't always practical (or allowed TBH) . Over the years I've made countless "penny stoves" to use with meths and "hobo stoves" to use with twigs and small sticks. They're good fun for a brew up. When it comes to sheer practicality, you can't beat a trangia, though I have been know to chuck a folding Vango stove in my pack just to make life easier...

Gravity Aided likes this.
  3. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I tend to travel light and swear by my MSR pocket rocket stove. Obviously it's no good for cooking a three course meal but it does boil the kettle and heat up a tin of beans and sausages.

4. raleighnut

raleighnut Regular Member

Still using my Epigas 'Alpine' stove, over 30yrs service now, fantastic stove.

Here's a tip I picked up for cooking a meal on a single burner, if you bring a pan of rice/pasta to the boil you can remove it from the heat and place it on a newspaper where it will continue to cook you can then prepare the sauce in another pan.

Gravity Aided, classic33 and Rocky like this.
  5. odav

odav Guest

My lightweight kit is very basic, but has served me well. I made the little stove out of my wife's utensil dryer thing, and it works really well.
    I boil up water and cook in aluminium tea and sugar jars, that double as storage containers when not cooking.
    DSC_0669.JPG

6. Reiver

Reiver Active Member

and don't waste that hot water from the pasta, pour it into a cup with a tea bag - if you don't enjoy tea made with cheesey pasta water than you have not had a big enough day.

hold on - you've taken a newspaper with you ?

Gravity Aided, Spinney and Rocky like this.
  7. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

Trangia stove. However, I'm also. as big fan of Stanley food and drink flasks, so for a day trip would rely on them rather than be cooking.

Gravity Aided and Spinney like this.
  8. raleighnut

It's lighter than the telly, seriously though I'd regard a newspaper as an essential, what else has so many potential uses from stuffing in boots overnight to dry em to 'emergency loo roll'.

Mind you the old size Grauniad was better, in the days before 'roll mats' were common it was a great insulator from 'ground chill' and the bigger sheets resisted slipping about better.

9. OP
    OP
    Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided New Member

I made a little envelope out of that aluminum faced plastic bubble wrap insulation stuff. Keeps hot things hot, and cool things cool.

10. raleighnut

Ah but can you use it as 'emergency loo roll' :whistle:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice