Christmas Day/Boxing day walks

Discussion in 'The Bothy (off topic)' started by Summerdays, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Summerdays

Summerdays Regular Member

i usually like to try and get out for a very short walk on Christmas Day, just to get some fresh air after the meal. Then I try to get a walk in on Boxing Day but his year it's the day that all my wider family can get together on.

Does anyone else tend to do a short or long walk over the Christmas period?

2. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

We don't usually spend Xmas with other family, so often it's quite a long walk or bike ride, with dinner in the evening. It's great cycling - must be one of the quietest days on the road all year.

Summerdays likes this.
  3. odav

odav Guest

Early Boxing Day morning with the kids. It's our little family tradition. Head down to the country park, have a wander, getting nice and muddy, for a couple of hours and let Mrs o have a lie in.
    Usually see loads of kids on their Christmas bikes on our way home.

Summerdays and Rocky like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Summerdays

Summerdays Regular Member

I often do a walk in Bristol on New Years Day, just a get together with a few friends, down by the docks or up on the Downs (stroll would probably be a better description).

5. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

I'll have a few good bimbles over the Christmas period, but not on Christmas or Boxing days themselves.

6. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

Kids on their new bikes is something I haven't seen for a long time, it is good to know some kids still get bikes.

odav likes this.
  7. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

I have meals planned in Hebden Bridge on both Christmas Day and Boxing Day. It is about 5 miles from here so it would be a nice stroll to get there (if the weather is ok) but I'm not sure that I would fancy the walk home again in the late evening. The local taxi company are quoting £16 for each night and I don't fancy paying that either! I may well do what I did last year - cycle over there and cycle back afterwards.

It IS good that kids still get bikes and want to ride them, but ...

... a couple of times I have seen very young kids out on their new bikes unsupervised on Christmas Day and riding unsafely. One boy who was probably only 6 or 7 years old shot out from a side road straight across a busier road in front of me. I'm sure that he didn't look before doing it and even though it was around noon on Christmas Day there was still traffic on that road.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

I'll do my traditional walk on Christmas day.

200 metres to the pub.

9. Lullabelle

That is a worry, new bike no road safety.

10. Spokey Dokey

Spokey Dokey Regular Member

Short walk on Xmas day.

We nip up to Scout Scar (Kendal) and toddle along to the spot where we put our dog's ashes.

11. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Member

We have a dog, so have at least a couple of walks every day. Christmas Day will see a nice extended amble though, weather permitting.

12. Lullabelle

We usually have a long walk along the Great Central Way, this will most likely be on boxing day because my dad will be joining us for dinner on Christmas day. It would be nice if the 3 of us could go for a walk after dinner weather permitting, dad enjoys walking but cannot do the distances that we would do so a steady mooch will be just fine.

Summerdays and NorthernDave like this.
  13. Lullabelle

We didn't go out for a walk yesterday however we will be going out today. Last night we had torrential rain, a river was running down the lane! This morning the sun is out and no rain, nippy but that is not a problem we will just wrap up warm :okay:

14. Lullabelle

We need some red wine for lunch so our walk will take us back past Tesco or COOP, don't want to open a big bottle so a mini 1 will do just the job.

15. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

We’ve been for a 5 mile walk round Blenheim. Lots of lovely bird life and quite a few deer

8F7333AE-AE00-41D0-9F87-208A1351D711.jpeg 369E2FB2-361A-455E-9835-5A0362B71559.jpeg 82BEC6B6-5173-4590-B0EF-60547B1CAFE3.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice