Anyone else enjoy cycling?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by LeeDonny, Oct 20, 2017.

1. LeeDonny

LeeDonny New Member

I like a good walk, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I like to get on my bike and just ride out for a couple of hours at a nice steady pace taking everything in as I trundle along (I'm not very fast).

I'm very much a fair weather cyclist though and as soon as it starts to get wet and cold the bike goes in the shed and the boots and coat come out for walks instead.

hopless500, i hate hills and odav like this.
  2. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

I help run a cycling club at my local pub. All informal and easy paced, we go out for a couple of hours on a Sunday morning and do 20 or so miles with a stop for coffee and cake - finishing back at the pub in time for opening obviously.

I enjoy cycling on my own too, it keeps my head clear and gives me a chance to be by myself.

Meta lon, odav, raleighnut and 2 others like this.
  3. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I also do a bit of cycling. I will probably have done about 5,000 miles this year. I like to do one big trip a year or a big trek. This year I cycled through France, Belgium, Luxembourg and back into France with my wife. In previous years we’ve walked the Pennine Way. I’m still planning 2018’s big trip!! Watch this space :smile:

hopless500, Meta lon, odav and 4 others like this.
  4. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

There are a few dozen of us over on Shaun's other forum, CycleChat! :okay:

Summerdays, odav and Hill Wimp like this.
  5. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Nemesis Ridiculii Staff Member

Yes, I love cycling and even did it for a living for a few years (which is where the user name comes from).

I've got some great countryside to ride through in my part of the world and a range of terrain from pretty flat to precipitously steep depending on what you like to go for, which also makes for some good walking too.;)

odav and ColinJ like this.
  6. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

I've ridden the odd bike over the years.

7. BobESkunky

BobESkunky Member

Cycling?
    I stopped when I garaged my penny farthing;)

odav, raleighnut, Rocky and 1 other person like this.
  8. pipes

pipes Regular Member

This new forum is quite timely for me as I have started mixing cycling and walking. My last trip was Home to Small Hythe (Nr. Tenterden, Kent) on the bike, hide and lock the bike, then a five mile round trip walk along the 'High Weald Landscape Trail' which was all new scenery to me and included a cake stop in Tenterden. I was glad to get back on the bike for the ride home, this walking lark is knackering. Nearly four years ago one of my first rides out on my, then, new road bike included a mile of carrying it along a shingle beach near Dover (that's where the avatar pic comes from) so you could say my approach to cycling has never been quite... normal.

hopless500, Spinney, odav and 5 others like this.
  9. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

I once went out with a girl in Tenterden. Nice place.

10. odav

odav Guest

I've loved cycling since I was a kid. A great way to escape. Had a blip for a few years, just fell out of the habit.
    I enjoy rescuing and restoring old bikes and, despite being 52, have never owned a new one.
    I like to keep my cycling simple, no garmin or bike computers. Steel is where it's at, aluminium is for pans, and carbon melts in the rain...probably.

11. Summerdays

Summerdays Regular Member

I probably prefer cycling... but only because it's easy to get out from home doing it immediately. Whereas walking from the house is mostly to the similar places I go to regularly. IMG_8486.JPG
    On my commute this morning...

12. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

That's a lovely sunrise, Summerdays :smile:

13. Meta lon

Meta lon New Member

That sounds like a good sunday morning to me @TVC

TVC likes this.
  14. Summerdays

Summerdays Regular Member

It was beautiful yesterday morning... unfortunately it didn't stay that way! Cold heavy showers caught up with me in the afternoon!

Thinking about another thread on here, I'm probably happier going a long distance on my bike than walking, where I like having someone to natter to.

Rocky likes this.
  15. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

I used to commute on a bike and rather enjoyed it but the company shut down and moved us closer to my home so I now walk. Have no interest in cycling to be honest.

Rocky likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice