Any kayakers?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Drago II - the sequel, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Drago II - the sequel

Drago II - the sequel Regular Member

...on here? I'm a newbie, got into it only recently but as I gain experience will eventually get a sea yak too.

2. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

Got a sea kayak, have done a few trips in Scotland, but they've been in the garage for the last 5 years. Need to try to get back into it next year.

Drago II - the sequel likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Drago II - the sequel

My physio suggested it to strengthen up my shoulders. Done a bit ofmriver kayaking and really enjoy it.

Numbnuts from the other side is heavily into it. He's on a few yak forums here and there.

classic33 likes this.
  4. Spinney

Yes, I knew that - I came across him with the same user name on a kayaking forum.

5. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

I am mainly into cycling and walking but kayaking is something that quite appeals to me. The thing is, I don't drive so I would really be a bit restricted in where I could get to.

Ooh, hang on - Hollingworth Lake is only 11 km away and they do training courses!

I have dodgy shoulders, so it might be good for me too.

6. Spinney

Hmm. I know someone who used to be a keen river kayaker but had to give up because it gave him bad shoulders. Working up gently is probably the way. That doesn't sound very Drago-ish though! ;)

7. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I'm not currently a kayaker but I'm seriously tempted. We moved here nearly a year ago and we are very close to the Thames and I always look on with envy at the people paddling along......so watch this space.

Spinney likes this.
  8. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

In my case, the pain comes when using my arms above shoulder height. I don't have problems carrying weights or riding my bike. I reckon I would be okay with some moderate paddling.

Thinking about it ... Do you wear a wetsuit when kayaking? It must be bloody freezing if you end up in the water without one!

classic33 likes this.
  9. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

Not much point having a kayak where I am, but I have a friend who lives in Poole and he has one. Not surprising, if I lived by Poole harbour I would be out every week.

Rocky likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Drago II - the sequel

Buy a house on the banks of a river, sorted ;)

classic33 and ColinJ like this.
  11. Spinney

No. But we have sea kayaks and mostly paddle on lakes. The aim is NOT to go in!

hopless500 and ColinJ like this.
  12. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

The Rochdale canal isn't far from here. I suppose that I could paddle up and down that, but how to get a kayak the 1 km there and back ...? :whistle:

13. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

14. ColinJ

ColinJ Regular Member

Even better ... a kayak trailer for a bike which converts into a bike trailer for a kayak! :laugh:

LINK

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  15. classic33

classic33 Member

Two canoes, frame built to hold the two together with the bike on both. Back wheel then powers a small paddle wheel placed between both. Slow and steady.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice