All female walking group

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Lullabelle, May 20, 2018.

1. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Well-Known Member

We live close to beautiful meadows and a canal. I have spent many hours walking along and watching the wildlife and the changes with each season.

Earlier this evening a lady on facebook enquired if it was safe for a lone woman to go for a walk along the meadows which it is, anyway long story short on Thursday evening a group of us ladies have been invited to our local pub by the landlady for a chat about starting up a women only walking group. I think it is a great idea so look forward to going along and see where it takes us. The pub are happy to support as they do with the Sunday morning velo club, yes ok it means the pub get publicity and money in their till but they are community spirited and do a lot for the local community so it works both ways.

Watch this space

Shaun likes this.
  2. Regulator

Regulator Regular Member

Will they allow gayers as ‘Honorary Ladies’? I like a good canal walk.... :okay:

3. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

I will ask ;)

4. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

Two people have called off so far, I am about ready to go out so we will see.

Shaun likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

Well, the landlady and I had a really good chat, bounced a few ideas off each other and arranged a walk. No one else showed up! Ah well, we will do our walk, post it and see if anyone else picks up on it and wants to join.

Shaun likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

This evening was our first walk, there were 3 of us, we walked 3.3 km, it was a lovely evening walking across the meadows listening to the birds singing ^_^

Hopefully we can drum up more interest for the next walk.

7. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

I was a little disappointed by the low turn out last night despite the the high interest, maybe people forgot, maybe a reminder should have been posted, either way we will do another and push it a bit more.

8. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

After the walk the landlady took a picture of us all posted on facebook, there has been a very positive response and interest in joining the next one, great but we will see.

9. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

So far, 2 no and 1 yes. If there is only 2 of us them we may forego the walk and stay in the pub garden with a bottle of something ;)

10. Gritstone

Gritstone New Member

Have you thought about contacting the Canal & River Trust? They've recently gone through a rebranding and are firmly positioning themselves not only as championing the waterways but the also the wellbeing that being by the water can bring. It goes beyond boaters and supports all towpath users, so they might be interested in your new walking group for a blog feature or newsletter?

11. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

It is worth a thought :okay:

12. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

Our next walk is tomorrow, so far there has been a good response but then...

13. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

Yesterday's walk was a success, there were 7 of us and we were out for about an hour and a half. Some of the ladies didn't know much about the meadows and were pleasantly surprised how peaceful it is in places and how green and lush. All have expressed an interest in the next one so really chuffed ^_^

14. Regulator

Regulator Regular Member

Well done Lu!

Lullabelle likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Lullabelle

Oh dear, on another forum there is a guy who doesn't like the idea of 'women only' and being excusive. I have tried to explain it is about helping women to feel safe whilst enjoying the new to them beautiful surroundings, maybe make new friends. I understand his point but not sure he understands mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice