Aching feet on long walks - does it get better the more walks you do?

Discussion in 'General Walking Discussions' started by Phoenix, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

The last time we did a longish walk (20 miles I think it was) there was a chap whose feet started to ache at about 11 or 12 miles in. They gave him problems all the way to the end, but he made it. :smile:

He said he didn't walk very often so we put it down to lack of experience and general fitness, but is it something someone can get used to by doing it regularly, or are some people better suited to shorter walks?

2. Andy_R

Andy_R Of dubious origin.... Staff Member

My first port of call would be his boots. Do they fit properly, are they the right size and shape for his feet. Do they support his arches adequately. It's amazing how many people go and buy the cheapest boots they can find instead of the best they can afford. By "best" I do not mean most expensive, but the ones that are most suited to the walker - I can't wear Brashers for example, they just don't get on with my feet, but Scarpa boots fit me like old slippers.

3. TVC

TVC Active Member Staff Member

Wot Andy said.

Finding the right boot to suit the shape of his foot and support the arch is key. A good outdoors shop should have somebody on hand to give advice and help find the right profile.

4. Spinney

Spinney Well-Known Member Staff Member

I used to use Scarpas, then they started to really make my feet ache (ageing feet?). Not blisters or anything (well, they sometimes do that too, but the ache is something different).

I'd always been sceptical of Superfeet insoles (mainly cos they cost a lot), but I eventually decided it was time to try them, and they really reduced my foot ache. They still ache, but now only after 15 miles or so, and nowhere near as badly.

5. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

Ever since I started wearing Brashers, I’ve never had a problem with aching feet. I think it’s just a case of getting the right boots.

(So unlike Andy, Brashers seem to fit my type of feet :smile:)

6. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

His boots are probably too big. You curl your feet slightly in boots that are too big, especially on rough terrain. As said, new boots or some bigger insoles.

7. Spinney

I had a very comfy pair of brashers once, but when I came to replace them (they didn't last all that long), they seemed to have changed the last and were no longer a good fit for my feet.
    One reason for the Scarpas is they are stiff enough to take crampons for winter walking. I have a pair of Mantas (I think? the really stiff ones) that really make my feet ache, and have sat in a box for the last 8 or 9 years. I suppose I should try them with the superfeet...

8. Rocky

Rocky Regular Staff Member

I think Brasher did change their last and made boots that really hurt my feet. I seem to recall that people complained and then they went back to the original build which is far more comfortable.

Spinney likes this.
  9. Spinney

I might try them again, then. For some of my multiday walks in the summer, I've been using Saloman fabric boots, but they now leak like the proverbial sieve and waterproof socks can only do so much. So a pair of brashers might do for comfy, non-crampon boots.

Rocky likes this.
  10. Glyder

Glyder Regular Member

All fabric boots I've ever had have been totally useless after a few months. Leather is the way to go.

11. Spinney

I've had good service out of some fabric boots, esp for walking holidays when I'm in them everyday. For long life, though, you're right.

12. Lakeslover

Lakeslover Regular Member

The right boots is the key. I’ve tried various, but my Saloman’s that I have now are by far the best I’ve had

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice